Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie helmet dimensions difference?

DangDingus711

Hey everyone! I made a post a bit back about the helmet in this post, regarding the insignia (which may is 8/10 chance of being solved at this point). Well, after receiving the helmet, I noticed something else… different? About the helmet.

compared to most of not all other WW1 (and indeed WW2h Brodie style helmets I’ve seen, in person and online, I have noticed that this helmet has a much steeper slant to the brim. For comparison, I’ve brought out my other WW1 Brodie that I currently have (the Brodie on the left, and or the one without the painted insignia).

as you can see, the painted helmet has a much sharper slant down than the quite flat usual helmet structure I have seen. Any idea what is up with it? Or is this just a normal amount of deviance? Brodie and helmet experts, I would love you help! 

should also note, they are both British manufacture. The plain is a BS manufacture helmet, while the insignia is a H.V manufacture helmet.

A7401395-0AAF-43A3-B77A-9FF406F0F8B6.jpeg

5B9D8C13-3CD0-4401-A65D-AC35FF3DF161.png

1CCE1903-8093-4414-9969-C5CBE83F8FCC.jpeg

DC4DFD40-1C88-4725-B640-765910D48B84.jpeg

Personally, I can't see a great deal of difference.

David

I tend to agree with Granville.

To make a visual comparison fair, you need the photo to be symmetrical both vertically and horizontally, i.e., show the same height and width of both helmets.

If you can center the candle holder accurately, that would help.

Measuring a piece of adhesive tape from the center of the rivet to the edge of the brim for both helmets may tell the tale.

Regards,

JMB

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2021 at 14:14, JMB1943 said:

To make a visual comparison fair, you need the photo to be symmetrical both vertically and horizontally, i.e., show the same height and width of both helmets.

If you can center the candle holder accurately, that would help.

Measuring a piece of adhesive tape from the center of the rivet to the edge of the brim for both helmets may tell the tale.

Regards,

JMB

Long story short, through coincidental research I answered my own question… Hutton (manufacturer of the helmet) made them slightly different from other WW1 Brodie’s

DD711,

That is a very interesting piece of information.

Where did you come across this?

Regards,

JMB

Just now, JMB1943 said:

DD711,

Regards,

JMB

It was a combination of asking the people I purchased this from, and looking at other pictures of Hutton made helmets. Almost all the ones I saw had a different style of slope down as opposed to the flat slope of other helmet manufacturers. Plus the company I purchased this from said in all the Huttons they have come across, there has been a slope. I’ll post some pics!

12 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

DD711,

Regards,

JMB

1E24951B-CDB5-4447-8DFB-669DA79B300B.jpeg

08F2A974-825E-48DB-9FCD-36E675BB1152.png

4EBDB1F2-93A7-4B4C-8496-B7C324325329.png

252744A1-5E64-4000-AA41-4C795F06E1BA.png

95153A65-5C10-4D63-9490-B98E23E1A599.png

DD711,

Very interesting!!

I think that you are the first to raise this issue of a different front slope (and possibly rear slope ??) for the Hutton-made helmets.

Regards,

JMB

Just now, JMB1943 said:

DD711,

Very interesting!!

I think that you are the first to raise this issue of a different front slope (and possibly rear slope ??) for the Hutton-made helmets.

Regards,

JMB

I’m a real trailblazer (just kidding)! I am a little OCD in my collecting of various things, so many little things will end up sticking out to me- like this evidently. And not only is it a different front and rear slope, but the sides as well, as seen in the photos posted. They seem to be quite different in slant compared to other manufacturers!

2 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

DD711,

Very interesting!!

Regards,

JMB

Also, I had another question regarding Brodie’s in general, but not this specific one in particular- have you come across shells that have an uneven brim? As in one side is longer than the opposite side? I just snagged a new shell, and when looking at it from the front, the left side of the brim is about a quarter to half inch longer than the right- and the same goes for the rear and the front (rear is longer than front). Common/normal if you have by any chance seen?

On 27/12/2021 at 14:14, JMB1943 said:

Regards,

JMB

I have to apologize for my stupid suggestion of running adhesive tape across that nicely painted insignia!!!!!

Cannot definitively answer the question regarding different lengths of brims/rears, LHS/RHS etc, but @GRANVILLE probably can.

I have some remembrance of a thread about dimensions and their variability from 4-5 yrs ago.

Regards,

JMB

1 minute ago, JMB1943 said:

I have to apologize for my stupid suggestion of running adhesive tape across that nicely painted insignia!!!!!

Cannot definitively answer the question regarding different lengths of brims/rears, LHS/RHS etc, but @GRANVILLE probably can.

I have some remembrance of a thread about dimensions and their variability from 4-5 yrs ago.

Regards,

JMB

Don’t apologize- if it weren’t for the insignia it would have made sense! Thanks again for the info and help

DD711,

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/158461-brodie-dimensions/#comment-1531865

Will take you to the thread on Brodie dimensions.

Although it will not answer all of your questions explicitly, it does show the range of overall dimensions that is encountered.

Regards,

JMB