Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hill 60 - 7th June 1917

Spike

I am trying to find some more details of what happened to an uncle of mine who received wounds on 7th June 1917. He was part of 13 Bn, Durham Light Infantry. Following the detonation of the 19 mines along the ridge at 0310 that day he ‘went over the top’ at some stage during that day. They had been close to the bund when the detonation took place but moved forward and I wondered if anyone knows the details please? The 13th DLI Ops record is a bit thin.

I have heard that they were moving forward to capture Impartial Trench to the east of the railway line.

Can anyone fill in the gaps??

My Uncle Stephen received wounds during the day, was evacuated and died the following day at 69 FA station near the Hop Store at Vlamertinghe.

Edited by Spike

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can download war diaries for free from National Archives at the mo once registered

Search results: 13 Battalion Durham Light Infantry. | The National Archives

Also tell us any moreifo about him you have and if you subscribe to such as Ancestry or Find My Past

regards

Jon

As they relieved the 12 DLI see their diary for more detail

Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War I War Diaries (France, Belgium and Germany), 1914-1920

also if you sscroll forward on Ancestry there is a map and a report from image #123 onwards

You could also try 68 Infantry Brigade Headquarters

68 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters. | The National Archives

Reference:WO 95/2181/4

Description:

68 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters.

Date:1917 May - July

On Ancestry 7th June 17 - scroll back & forth as needed

Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War I War Diaries (France, Belgium and Germany), 1914-1920

Spike, welcome to the forum.  The war diaries jonbem has quoted will give you plenty of information.  Here is a May 1917 photograph of Impartial Trench, which I have crudely shaded in yellow.  Click on it to enlarge.

It is an Imperial War Museum photograph taken from a height of 7000 feet by 6 Squadron RFC and covers W Gheluvelt. Hill 60, Battle Wood, Inverness Copse etc.

image.png.5c3326533e73c98a2660e37bd2a79343.png

image.png.38826c76e4d8c35af102886bc60d1147.png

For trench maps see Index for WWI Maps & Air Photos (mcmaster.ca)

Trench Name Nearest Place Map Sheet Number Map Squares
Impartial Trench, Avenue, Lane Zillebeke 28NW4 & NE3 I 36 a, c, d

Bottom right corner of this one

[Ypres Region : 4th Battle of Ypres] | Digital Archive @ McMaster University Library

image.png.f4221a85520bb0a232b7dc63002a0be0.png

19 minutes ago, jonbem said:

For trench maps see ...

Or why not use tmapper.com and select the April 1917 map to see the named trench from Spike's post?  Click to enlarge.  Maps courtesy National Library of Scotland.

image.png.d8e79970bc76fc635b0f1ae50b65875a.png

If you give us his full name, date of birth and location we might turn up more.

I've found also

Life story: Stephen Todd | Lives of the First World War (iwm.org.uk)

Every One Remembered - Soldier Profile Private Stephen Todd

also the parents address of 4 Hilton, Darlington DL2 3JA is around 17 miles from my location

Many thanks once again. Small world that their home location is so close to you. Stephen was a miner before he volunteered working in a colliery in Near Bishop Auckland. He volunteered at Darlington. I have downloaded some of the documents above and it looks like 13 DLI went over the top during the afternoon before being relived at 2200. It looks like Stephen may have received his wounds between 1300 and 2200 on 7th June.

His service record is on Ancestry

UK, British Army World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

It looks like originally entered into the 9th DLI #5355 on 7th Feb 1916. Went to France 16/12/1916

image.png.ecac9f3d0173a4654e5cbf7cc5505b79.png

image.png.f1d3fa8fe9fc55e0ccbd1f3cd274e31a.png

on Ancestry you can also find Medal Index Card (also on National Archives), Medal Roll, Soldiers Died record, Soldiers Effects record

Edited by jonbem

If you look on Street View on Google maps this is numbers 2 & 3 so near here

Google Maps

I think he was there as was his father but he moved to one at Bishop Auckland later. Thanks again. It sounds like he may have rested a number of times at Montreal Camp just south of Vlamertinghe. Sadly, I didn’t go to the spot last time I was over there but it appears to be on the south-west road a mile or so south of the town.

I don’t suppose that there’s a photo of Stephen on Ancestry?

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don’t suppose that there’s a photo of Stephen on Ancestry?

not come across one.