Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Main French port of disembarkation for ASC personnel in October 1916?

Bob Chandler

I'm going to guess that this was either Rouen or Le Havre? My great uncle Ernest Brice Butler went to France in October 1916 as an ASC Private in a group designated 'spares' who then seem to have been dispersed everywhere from the base depot at Rouen right up to the front line. Also, what is the difference between a Private and Driver in the ASC? Are the terms synonymous?       

Private and Driver in the ASC?

They are technically different ranks but at the same level - they could be used interchangeably in records

Craig

11 minutes ago, Bob Chandler said:

My great uncle Ernest Brice Butler went to France in October 1916 as an ASC Private in a group designated 'spares' who then seem to have been dispersed everywhere from the base depot at Rouen right up to the front line.

Bob

If his service number was M2 264153 then this number was not issued until 10/10/16.

There is a record for M2/264154 who has this mobilization date and who then went to France, landing at Rouen 3/3/1917 having disembarked from SS Hunsgate.

We previously covered this service number range in your old thread here

Charlie

Many thanks Charlie, I’ve now checked the Rouen Base records and they show that on 2nd and 3rd March 1917, 896 MT coy ASC were arriving, 42nd Division supply column and ambulances. 

Interesting, March 1917 coincides with when 42nd Division relocated from Egypt to the Western Front. 

…and the war diary at NA confirms the name of SS Hunsgate arriving at Rouen on that date.