Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to pronounce the surname Strachan.

rolt968

While the place in Aberdeenshire is pronounced Strawn. I have known families in east and north east Scotland who pronounced their surname as spelled and others who pronounced their surname "Strawn".

When I started to research Edward Strachan, 21205, 10 CEF, I wondered how it was pronounced, suspecting, wrongly, that it was as spelt.

I was pleased to find him listed in the battalion's casualty list as "Straughan".

RM

Edited by rolt968

The footballer Gordan Strachan is from Edinburgh and I've always heard his name pronounced like it's spelt - 'Stra - kn'

4 hours ago, Skipman said:

Strach as in Bach. I know a family of that name and that's how they pronounce it. Gordon Strachan same.

Strach as in Bach as you or I would pronounce it, or Strach as in Bach as South-East Britons pronounce it?

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Strach as in Bach as you or I would pronounce it, or Strach as in Bach as South-East Britons pronounce it?

Not sure. There are examples of pronunciation online that have it as 'ck' not 'ch' as in loch. As said I know a family who use the version I mention and have never heard anyone use the 'ck' version.

Mike

Interesting. I have been assuming that "Straughan" was someone's attempt to spell what sounded like "Strawn" but I am now not quite so sure. What do people think?

RM

2 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Can of worms

Mike

Strachan.JPG

A can of worms indeed. Who was Sir Richard Strachan. I wonder?

1 minute ago, Skipman said:

Or again (British Newspaper Archive)

Mike

Strachan.JPG

I have seen that derivation before and had wondered about the elision of Avon to A'an (which is the same as Avoch to A'ach). I suspect that placenames as we now see them spelled owe a lot to the publication of the first Ordnance Survey maps. Reading the OS's name books (which tell you where or from whom they got the names) at Scotland's Places is very interesting.

RM