Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guards Regiments.

Drummy

I am sure I am asking a question asked already on this forum, but can anyone confirm if the personnel records of soldiers who served in Guards Regiments in WW1 still exist for all who served, are they all held with the Guards Museum/HHQ in London ?? Has any one obtained Guard's personnel files, if so could you let me know cost/procedure. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks Neil.

They used to be at the Guards HQ in Birdcage Walk. There was a different officer in charge of each Guards Regiment records - you simply wrote to Birdcage Walk and explained what you want. I found they were normally reluctant to give out information to people who were not NOK, but this may have changed.

As I understand it the Guards were the only ones to keep second copies of their service records; all regiments had them at one time, but most destroyed them in the years since WW2; or indeed before.

I wrote to the Scots Guards at Wellington Barracks last year, seeking information about a former CSM. They responded very quickly and sent a copy of his entire file, free of charge. Amazing service, and well worth a donation to their funds in return.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

As Tom Tulloch-Marshall has pointed out, service files on soldiers who served in the Guards are also available in WO 363 and WO 364 at the NA/PRO at Kew. I was in fact looking at one only yesterday.

Ian

:)

If your man was a Grenadier Guardsman then the contact a few months ago was Capt Mason - 020 7414 3221 - although there are two retired officers that deal with enquiries. Unfortunately the office is only staffed by them on a Tuesday between 11am and 3pm.

Likewise the Welsh Guards were extremely helpful and very quick.

Simon

Excellent stuff, I'll get in touch with them at Wellington Bks, I am looking for info on a couple of Grenadier's and an Irish Guardsman. By the way the Guards put on an excellent show trooping the colour yesterday!