Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Form B.104-80A

Gerry1

From the book "42nd (East Lancashire) Division 1914-1918)" by Frederick P. Gibbon:

"The details that were not going out with the Division became the nucleus of the Second Line, which sent drafts to the First Line until about the end of August 1915, when the Second Line East Lancashire (66th) Division was formed. After that date the drafts came from the Third Line units."

This would tie in with him being in the 3/8th, and going out in September 1915.

I wonder which way round they were typed...   I would have thought they would the individual Medal Card (1914) onto the Roll of Individuals. 1915 changed to 1914.

However Craig has also shown that he was probably sent to Gallipoli Sept 1915.

So it looks like I need to rewrite Thomas's story for 1915.  Before I was given the letter saying he had been discharged from hospital in Malta I had Thomas down for training in the UK March-October 1915.  Then I contacted you and the picture has completely changed. 

Thank you Craig and Keith for your time and knowledge, its been a great help, really has.  !!

cheers 

Gerry

ps  I still dont understand why the dates in Sept and OctScreenshot 2021-11-26 143223.png

28 minutes ago, Gerry1 said:

I would have thought they would the individual Medal Card (1914) onto the Roll of Individuals. 1915 changed to 1914.

The cards were created as an index to the rolls.

Craig

29 minutes ago, Gerry1 said:

However Craig has also shown that he was probably sent to Gallipoli Sept 1915.

Well, he was in that part of the world. Whether or not he was actually there would need other evidence.

Craig

7 minutes ago, Gerry1 said:

Thought I had most of the evidence,  but certainly need more proof.    Any thoughts on those 2 dates, and why is Devonport  shown. Strange

Gerry

Not a clue on that at the moment.

Craig

• Admin
4 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Now if we take the date of 25 Sep 1914 to be an error for 25 Sep 1915 then that would tie in better with the use of Theatre 3, Egypt.

The 1/8th Battalion of the Manchester Regiment landed in Alexandria in Egypt (Code 3) on 25th September 1914.

I think the Medal Roll compiler has simply used the Date of Disembarkation of the Battalion as a whole rather than for any given individual, so I would treat it with some caution in drawing the conclusion that this is a typo for his actual entry being 25th September 1915. 

Regards

Russ

11 hours ago, RussT said:

The 1/8th Battalion of the Manchester Regiment landed in Alexandria in Egypt (Code 3) on 25th September 1914.

That would be a spanner in the works but makes it perhaps more likely that the 6 Oct date is him sailing from Devonport, and was itself a correction to an incorrect record. More work is needed.

Craig

Hi
I have just been reading the handwritten War Diary for the 8th Battalion Manchester Regiment on and around 25 September 1915.   I cant see any mention of a new influx of soldiers.    Heck !