The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

13 Peak Hill, Sydenham S6 - England 1911 census

monkstown

I feel I have lost many of my detective skills over recent years ... I would like to find who was living at 13 Peak Hill, Sydenham S6 at the time of the 1911 census to see if the (war)poet W M Letts might have been staying with a relative when her qualification in Medical Electricity came through. Is it possible to search UK census by address - it's very easy to do on the Irish census but I'm having trouble navigating the GB one.    The Letts dynasty had been living in the Sydenham area previously.

Many thanks

The following are at that address in the 1911 Census:

Alexander William Watson-Smyth, Edith Jessie Watson-Smyth, Cyril Flemming.

Martin

A Winifred Letts, born 1882 in Manchester, was living in Dublin at the time of the 1911 Census.

Martin

Thank you so much, Tootrock and CLK - bang goes my LETTS family connection so.....

Just now, tootrock said:

A Winifred Letts, born 1882 in Manchester, was living in Dublin at the time of the 1911 Census.

Martin

Yes, indeed but when she qualified in Medical Electricity in 1917 as part of her work as a masseuse, she gave that Peak Hill address. I'm trying to find whether she was working in a hospital locally/lodging for the duration of her course etc.   I didn't know of any way of checking that address nearer to 1917?

Where was the course operated from, monkstown? The place might have an archive or a roll of honour, or some such.

(I tried the Royal College of Nursing archive but no luck, and the Dictionary of Irish Biography has a bare mention of her war service in its entry for her.)

Thanks seaJane - she trained under Arabella Jackson Hogg in the Dublin School of Massage. In 1918, a clubroom was opened for the ISTM  in Dublin at 12 Hume Street (a private hospital in the 1911 census and in my lifetime, a skin and cancer hospital - now closed - up to the early 2000s) but the available records here only date back to 1920. 

Edited by monkstown

Don't know whether this helps

Between the   25.8.15 - 30.6.16 Winifred was working at the  2nd. Western Gen: Hosp. Manchester

SOURCE

Ray

Thanks Ray - yes, I have that - it's really to know why she gave that address in the Register for Med. Electricity (qualified Nov 1917, elected to ISTM Feb 1918) - but maybe she was just staying there while doing the written exam?

Edited by monkstown

Could be that the Rev. Smyth was known to Winifred’s father? (also a Cleric).

In any case, there was a lodger at the time that the Census was conducted - Cyril Fleming (Capt ASC during WW1).
Cyril married in 1911 so I presume that he would have moved out, leaving a room free for another lodger to move in (Winifred). Presume also that the Rev was still taking in lodgers in 1917 (i.e. Winifred - whose permanent address was Blackrock, Co. Dublin). 

MB

PS Winifred and her mother moved to Blackrock after Rev. Letts died.

Edited by KizmeRD