The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembrance Sunday

Colin hayes

3 minutes ago, Colin hayes said:

Hello 

Sorry iam new to this haven't got a clue what iam doing 

Colin, welcome to the Forum.

You will find that the members are very helpful and I am sure you will enjoy participating.

I've been placing flowers on the war graves for the last 20 years or more not sure .I go there on rememberence Sunday and randomly place flowers on a war grave .and say a prayer and let them know there family's maybe thousands of miles away and cannot visit there graves I feel its my duty and my gratitude for my freedom. had it not been for there sacrifice and bravery the world would of been a different place today. I only wish sometimes there family's could be reassured in the knowledge there brave soldiers will always be remembered by me and my family in Liverpool 

Many of us have visited the Military Cemeteries across France and Flanders and share your sentiments.  If you ever get the opportunity, visit the Menin Gate at Ypres and hear the Last Post played.  It has, however become very crowded and busy in the last 25 years, not the quiet contemplative occasion it used to be.

If you take a note of any of the graves you visit, and put the data on this Forum, you might be pleasantly surprised at the support and information that comes back.

Good luck.

I took a picture of the grave and was surprised it was a newzeland mori .I've tried to send it to the forum but it's saying the pic is to big .please forgive me iam ignorant to social media .a very private person probly to private .and I appreciate and admire everyone's commitments and efforts in remembering are fallen  .

Hello Colin as ‘Interested’ mentions any Memorial details are followed up - starting with the name of a casualty or regimental no. It is indeed surprising how much information can be provided. Thank you for your acts of Remembrance.

Interesting to note that you mentioned links with New Zealand and Liverpool which prompted me to look on the Commonwealth War Graves pages...

One of the names which is included can be seen here...

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/370792/wiremu-rangitauwira/

Best wishes

Barbara

26A4AB49-3939-41A1-B6E9-0BFBBF6C7384.png

Edited by BarbaraG

Wow that's amazing that's the grave I placed are flowers on .thank you so much for highlighting this brave soldiers ancestry makes it feel so much more than just placing flowers on a grave .thank you so much .would be lovely to maybe get a picture of us tending the grave and sending pictures to his relations forgive me if that sounds a bit inappropriate .

Not at all inappropriate Colin, how very thoughtful. It might be difficult to locate relations but one useful source for links can be found here....there is also a photograph 

https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/record/C12781#leaveanote

You may also find additional information here for the six casualties here

https://www.nzwargraves.org.nz/casualties/wiremu-rangitauwira

I have also added a thread here....

Edited by BarbaraG