Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNR Records - James Thomas Edwards (C 3303)

Liopa

Dear colleagues, I would greatly appreciate your help in understanding the names of two ships in RNR Service records for James Thomas Edwards

10.03.1918 - Edwards transferred from HMS Endymion to HMS Vivid. 

Then, the record is not clear. It looks like for a short period of time he was appointed to RollCall (Zaria) ?? 5.11. (or 04 ??) 1918. I assume it's a rescue tug RollCall and HMS Zaria - depot ship at Longhope? But what ship he actually served?  

Thanks a lot for your help!

Untitled.jpg.53d23578f8a78f320dba8ec94d85c598.jpg

BT-377-7-35536_Page_2.jpg.bf67ae8dda12d3e6f8ce0f4335ed9581.jpg

Think - "Roll call (something?) from Vivid III"  - never come across this in past tho, Horatio will know & he will be along soon. RNR records are hard to read.

He would have been serving in the rescue tug ROLLCALL based at, and borne on the books of, HMS ZARIA the depot ship at Longhope/Scapa Flow, Orkney. Dates not certain. Drafted north from the barracks at Devonport (HMS VIVID) to join ROLLCALL.

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

He would have been serving in the rescue tug ROLLCALL based at, and borne on the books of, HMS ZARIA the depot ship at Longhope/Scapa Flow, Orkney. Dates not certain. Drafted north from the barracks at Devonport (HMS VIVID) to join ROLLCALL.

Thank you very much!

Rallcall was launched 2.8.18, so I think the dates should be 09 or 11.

14 hours ago, Liopa said:

Rallcall was launched 2.8.18, so I think the dates should be 09 or 11.

I am inclined to read his date of joining ZARIA (for ROLLCALL) as 5 November 1918. The TERMINATION OF SERVICE columns should (but do not) show his drafts away from VIVID to ZARIA on 4 November 1918 and away from ZARIA (back to VIVID) on 31 December 1918. I believe the second draft has been incorrrectly entered as a draft away from VIVID. He clearly cannot have been discharged from VIVID on 31 December 1918 and have joined VIVID on the following day 1 January 1919. Clerical error IMO.

5 September or 5 October 1918 are also possible dates, noting that the dates of joining of her CO and two officers (per Dec 1918 Navy List) are 30 Sep, 5 Oct and 25 Sep.

Edited by horatio2