Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Snow Tyres or Chains a legal requirement

geraint

A heads up here for those driving to France. New legislation is now in force in 48 French departments - including my own here in Haute Vienne.

Between 1 Nov and 31 March it is a legal requirement for cars to be fitted with winter tyres stamped with 3PMSF (pneu montaigne snow flake) on all driving and steering wheels.

OR to carry snow chains or socks for each driving/steering wheels.

You will be given an immediate fine of 135e, and your vehicle impounded until you produce suitable snow-chains. Areas where these rules apply have new signage panels showing a black and white road-sign with a snow tyre and snow-chains. A similar sign with a black slash shows the end of this zone. My neighbour has bought four tyres, and I've bought chains.

Do a simple google "snow-chain regulation in France since 1 Nov 2021" and you'll get the gist. I'm too thick to highlight relevant wizard links.:huh:

Forewarned is forearmed:lol:

• Admin
  • 1 year later...

They are now in force. Check your Departements of travel. Carter Cash the heaven for cheap high quality tyres, and all things motoring in France, has a massive array of chains and snow socks for prices varying from 20-50E according to tyre types. Otherwise approved snow tyres are fine. A neighbour was given a heads up by a gendarme mate that checks will be made here in the Haut Vienne.

But before you splash out on chains, check that your tyres are not all weather and acceptable. Look on the tyres and if they are acceptable they will have a mountain with a snowflake among the information on the side.

We recently needed to replace three tyres at once so decided to invest in having appropriate tyres (3PMSF) fitted on all wheels. We were warned that we might experience more road noise but that hasn't been the case at all.  The garage seemed to think that we were mad having them fitted for use in Cheshire but we don't have the space to store four or five tyres and swap them around each season. Anyway it snowed here the following week, so there.

Just now, Dragon said:

We recently needed to replace three tyres at once so decided to invest in having appropriate tyres (3PMSF) fitted on all wheels. We were warned that we might experience more road noise but that hasn't been the case at all.  The garage seemed to think that we were mad having them fitted for use in Cheshire but we don't have the space to store four or five tyres and swap them around each season. Anyway it snowed here the following week, so there.

And you have probably found, as I did, that all weather tyres give a much better grip on the road in all conditions. I now demand all weather tyres on any new car. I had to have a row last time despite it being written into the contract, "But the cars are delivered with summer tyres". 'I don't care. Its there in the contract. Either fit them or give me my money back'. "Oh, OK, I'll have to get the workshop to agree to do it". Of course, they did it.

Why they couldn't tell the main dealer to fit them in the first place is a mystery.

1 hour ago, healdav said:

And you have probably found, as I did, that all weather tyres give a much better grip on the road in all conditions.

Yes, that's so. The overall cost of the 3PMSF tyres wasn't massive, given that we had to replace three tyres anyway.

Thinking back to the 1990s and 2000s when people freely went up the Vosges cols with ordinary tyres, not being used to mountains in snow we only went up as high as we felt safe, yet even now there are frequent complaints that visitors have tried to chance it, got stuck or started sliding, then the road is blocked for everyone.