Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Henry Dear - aeroplane identification?

StuartGoodger79

I'm pretty sure the second and fourth photographs show a DH 9, the first one could be a DH 4. The third photograph shows a Handley Page O/100/400.

Edited to add that his service record, which is currently available for free download from the National Archives, would tend to confirm these identifications, as both DH 4's and DH 9's are mentioned in his service record. There also seems to be an earlier mention of an HP (i.e. Handley Page) machine in his record as well.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8253427

Edited by Tawhiri

17 minutes ago, Tawhiri said:

I'm pretty sure the second and fourth photographs show a DH 9, the first one could be a DH 4. The third photograph shows a Handley Page O/100/400.

Edited to add that his service record, which is currently available for free download from the National Archives, would tend to confirm these identifications, as both DH 4's and DH 9's are mentioned in his service record. There also seems to be an earlier mention of an HP (i.e. Handley Page) machine in his record as well.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8253427

Thanks alot - I did have his service record somewhere but couldn't find it - I believe he received the MM in Africa too.

Also interesting as my Great Grandad (Frank's brother in law) was in a DH9 when he was shot down!

The citation for his Military Cross appeared in the London Gazette of 5 July 1918:

2nd Lt. Frank Henry Dear, R. Suss. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.  His machine caught fire while he was engaged on a reconnaissance, and while he was endeavouring to put the fire out his machine got into a spinning nose-dive.  With great difficulty he got the fire under and righted his machine when only a few hundred feet from the ground.  He then carried out his reconnaissance.  He showed great coolness and skill.

Graeme

11 hours ago, topgun1918 said:

The citation for his Military Cross appeared in the London Gazette of 5 July 1918:

2nd Lt. Frank Henry Dear, R. Suss. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.  His machine caught fire while he was engaged on a reconnaissance, and while he was endeavouring to put the fire out his machine got into a spinning nose-dive.  With great difficulty he got the fire under and righted his machine when only a few hundred feet from the ground.  He then carried out his reconnaissance.  He showed great coolness and skill.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, good stuff!