Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VIII Corps Artillery fire plan for 29th Div - Somme - July 1st

JWM72

Does anyone have or direct me to where I could find the VIII Corps Artillery fire plan - Somme - July 1st?  Focus: 29th Division attack. Ideally, I’d like to see the  written artillery plan and map overlay/graphic for it. 

I’m trying to put something together for US Army officer students that would allow them to understand the 29th Division tactical problem. I have the VIII Corps order  as well as 29th Division orders, but no fire support graphics.

Would like to show frontage, densities, ammo allocations, duration of fire, shifts, arty tasks, etc. Then discuss outcomes.  (Narrow brush vs. Army-level artillery plan). 

Thanks you. 

John 

John

54 minutes ago, JWM72 said:

I have the VIII Corps order  as well as 29th Division orders, but no fire support graphics.

This presumably means you have the CRA 29 Div War Diary which has quite a detailed appendix? Here at National Archives

I don't know if it helps you but the VIII Corps Heavy Artillery Commander's War Diary has more detail than the VIII Corps CRA Diary. The June Diary has the Heavy's operational order and bombardments for the preceding 4 days but no maps/plans I'm afraid that I could see.

Link here to National archives

Hopefully an expert will come along soon.

charlie