Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Frederick William Woods 6th Hants & 4th Dorset

sar2jec

I am trying to research a Lieutenant Frederick William Woods, "B" Coy. 4th Bn. Dorsetshire Regt. Killed in action: 28/08/1918 aged 37. He had previously served as Regimental Quarter Master Sergeant with 1st/6th Bn. (Duke of Connaught's Own) Hampshire Regt. He was the son of Henry and Rosina Maria Woods, of 78, St. Vincent Street, Southsea, Hants; and husband of the late Ethel Annie Aldridge Woods. A native of Petersfield, Hants. He is buried in Bulls Road Cemetery, Flers, France.

Unusually the CWGC gives the following:

"Service history: India, Dec. 1914 to 1916; Dorset Regt., 1916 to 1917; Musketry Officer in America, Nov., 1917 to May 1918. Awarded the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal.

Could some tell me if Lt. Woods would have been entitled to the Territorial Force War Medal? I would also be interested to know the circumstances of his death since the 4th Dorset Regt was away not in the Western Front at the time??

Cheers,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

There are two references to a Lieut F. W. Woods in the Regimental History of the Dorsetshire Regiment both relating to 6th Battalion, so perhaps he was attached from 4th Battalion?

The first relates to the advance along the Thiepval Ridge - Gouzeacourt from August 21st 1918 to September 25th 1918.

Specifically the crossing of the Ancre on the 22nd August and subsequent advance:

"Common Trench, which was a prolongation of Logging to the South, was captured with great dash by "B" Company, under Lieut F.W. Woods."

27th-28th August:

Attack on Flers was timed for 1 a.m. The Dorsets were assigned to the centre.

Battalion moved off at 3.30 a.m. with "A" "B" and "C" in front, and "D" in reserve, more or less in mass.

The attack began with great dash and got past both sides of Flers; the Brigade capturing all told some two hundred prisoners. The Dorsets took ten machine-guns and three trench mortars. But both flanks of the Brigade were exposed and a new division had come in against them, and a violent counter-attack at 7 a.m. forced the line back west of the village to the support line, only five hundred yards ahead of the starting point. Casualties had been heavy: Lieut Woods and 2/Lieut G. Houghton had been killed, as well as forty men.

Marc

Many thanks for that Marc - it's most appreciated. Do you think he would have qualified for the Territorial Force War Medal? - I am guessing he would but Im not sure if the service in India would have counted?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Do you think he would have qualified for the Territorial Force War Medal?

Most likely Jonathan.

I will look into him further in the next week or so when I visit the National Archives again.

Marc

Thanks Marc, its very kind of you.

Regards,

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Jonathan,

With apologies for the delay.

The following information is derived from file WO374/76682 at the National Archives.

Frederick William Woods was born on 30/11/1880 at College Street, Petersfield, Hants. Father was Henry Woods (Carpenter Journeyman) and mother Rosina Maria Woods (formerly Burrowes).

Educated Churcher's College, Petersfield and Training College, Winchester

Height: 5ft 7½ inches

Husband of Ethel Annie Aldridge Woods

Continuous service from 1900 as follows:

Pte No. 95 3rd Volunteer Bn, Hampshire Regiment 07/05/1900 - 30/07/1903

Sgt No. 95 3rd Volunteer Bn, Hampshire Regiment 31/07/1903 - 31/03/1908

Joined at Portsmouth 13/04/1908 - Age 27 years 4 months. Trade or Calling shown as Schoolmaster for Portsmouth Educational Committee.

Attested & posted Sgt 6th Bn, Hampshire Regiment 13/04/1908.

Re-engaged Sgt 2 years 13/04/1909

Re-engaged Sgt 1 year 13/04/1911

Re-engaged Sgt 1 year 13/04/1912

Promoted Colour Sergeant 11/09/1912

Re-engaged C/Sgt 1 year 13/04/1913

Re-engaged C/Sgt 1 year 13/04/1914

Appointed acting R.2.M.S. 26/09/1914

Home Service 13/04/1908 to 12/12/1914

India 13/12/1914 to 21/04/1916 Serving as R.Q.M.S. 2/4th Hants Regt (attached from 6th Hants Regt)

Promoted II Class W.O. 18/09/1915

Applied from Quetta in October 1915 for a commission in Hampshire Regiment.

Appointed to No.3 Officers Cadet Battalion at the University of Bristol 17/05/1916

Commissioned 2/Lieut 15/08/1916

Appointed 2/Lieut to 4th Res.Bn. Dorset Regiment August 1916

Accidentally injured in head, thigh and leg by shrapnel from a No.5 mills bomb at Ganger Common Range, Romsey, Hants on 19/09/1916

Passed fit for "General Service" by medical board 17/11/1916

Musketry Officer in America, Nov 1917 to May 1918

Promoted Lieut 05/02/1918

KIA 28/08/1918 as detailed in my earlier post.

His MIC indicates an entitlement to a VM and BWM pair - confirmed by his entry on the medal roll for the Hampshire's. In terms of the TFWM the MIC states "no action re TF War M. Min 17 NW/8/2815" so it looks like he wasn't entitled. Perhaps he failed to volunteer for overseas service by the 30th September 1914?

May I ask if you have the VM or BWM in your possession?

A poignant footnote is the following letter concerning the widow of Frederick Woods sent to the War Office in January 1922.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to research Lt. Woods for me. It was extremely kind of you and it came as a nice surprise. I really do appreciate it.

I think the service history is particularly interesting given the length and variety of service. The letter from his father is very sad ending.

I have his BWM, Victory and TFEM although I do not have a photo. I may now try giving the local library a ring to see if they could dig up a newspaper obituary.

Just to clarify a point with you - the MiC states "no action re TF War M. Min 17 NW/8/2815" - could this mean he was entitled to the medal but it was not claimed? It strikes me as strange that the medal was mentioned on the MiC if he was not entitled to it. Perhaps you could shed some light on this for me.

Thank you once again for your assistance.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

• 12 years later...

Marc,

I know this is an old thread but wondered if there was any more detail about the "letter concerning the widow of Frederick Woods sent to the War Office in January 1922." you mentioned above. I couldn't see anything.

I'm researching the Fallen who were alumni of Winchester Training College, recording as much as can be found of civilian as well as military life.

Regards,

John

• 4 months later...

@Marc Thompson and/or @sar2jec

I'm at the point of writing the narrative on this man (see post above for details) and would dearly like to see the letter alluded to. Any possibility of PM'ing or posting it? It would be really appreciated.

John