Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Wilkinson VC, private 1/5th Battalion the Manchester Regiment.

MikeyH

I am a member of an online history forum for the Lancashire mining and cotton town where I was born.  I was aware of Alfred Wilkinson as a local VC, but knew little about him.  A mural featuring him has recently been painted on the gable end of a house near his place of birth.  On checking his back story, I find that he was a pupil at the same school and in the same period that my mum attended.  He also in later years was a member of the same church as my parents, so they certainly would have known him.

I vaguely knew that he had died as a result of an accident at the colliery, where he was working in 1940.  Had assumed this was an underground incident.  But find that he was a technician in the mine's laboratory and succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, caused by a sparrow building it's nest in the fume extraction duct of the lab.

Such a random and avoidable death for someone who survived the horrors of the conflict.

Remembered.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

• MikeyH changed the title to Alfred Wilkinson VC, private 1/5th Battalion the Manchester Regiment.