Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

203 and 642 Field Compaines, Royal Engineers

Naroos dad

Hi Dave,

I'm trying to trace a Corporal - WFC Holden (84359) - he was there in April 1915 but then moved to 642 when he was given a commission 5th Feb 1916

8 minutes ago, Naroos dad said:

Hi Dave,

I'm trying to trace a Corporal - WFC Holden (84359) - he was there in April 1915 but then moved to 642 when he was given a commission 5th Feb 1916

I have a copy of the 203rd War Dairy but need to unpack it as we have just moved to Florida. I'll see if i can put my hands on it and post if I'm able. WD usually don't call out OR's but name but I'll check and would be able to give you their locations, actions and movements during his time there.

Dave 

I have studied the 203rd especially the period from Jun until Sept 1918 

Dave

Dave

The company was formed in Cambridge on 15th March, 1915, with their HQ at at the drill hall in East Road.

In the middle of April they moved to Wisbech.

In July they moved to Fearby Camp in Yorkshire to join 35th Division. 

In September they moved to Chiseldon Camp, and thence to Fiskerton, a village between Nottingham and Newark for a two weeks pontoon course returning to Chisledon at the cessation.

In November, they moved with the Division to Perham Down near Tidworth where they remained until 26 January 1916 when they departed for Southampton for embarkation to France where they landed on 29th January.

They entrained for St Omer on 30th January where they de-trained and marched to Coubronne via Aire. 

On 11th February they marched to Racqinhem with 104 Brigade.

On the 18th February they moved to Widdebrouck and thence to Rietz du Vinage.

From then on there were a number of moves and on the 21st March they left for a sector between Neuve Chapelle and Armentiers.

On 15th April they returned with the Division to billets in the Le Lacoutre area.

Further details can be found in the company war diary which can be downloaded free, here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=203+field+company+AND+WO+95&_sd=&_ed=&_hb=

No mention of Holden I’m afraid.

642 Field Company started life as 3rd Provisional Field Company RE and was redesignated  as 642 (London) Field Company at Brightlingsea in  1917. They were a home defence unit.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves