Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps showing where 61st battalion Machine Gun Battalion (Infantry) 61st Division were on 1/11/1918

andrew pugh

Good Evening I could not get onto the thread header for maps so I used this one.

Does anybody have a copy of the trench map where the 61st Machine Gun Battalion (Infantry) of the 61st Division were in action on the 1/11/1918. Focusing on the area of Vendegies-sur- Ecaillon and Maresches. R.2.a  R.2.b  K.35.d  K.36.c. I don't know what map it is. Hope someone can help. The reason I have asked is because I have traced the family of a Officer who was killed that day. We have his Sam Brown (name on it) and want to give it to the family, and would like to send them a small insight as to where he was fighting on the day he was killed when we send the Sam Brown to them.

Kind Regards

Andy   

Andy the map is 51a, Ive marked the relevant positions on this map (extracted from 61st Division HQ WD). Let me know if you'd like a copy of the larger unadulterated map.

51a.jpg.571ac49715e3541a81b6337f689bf4c8.jpg

Hi jay dubaya

Thanks so much replying with the map. The other offer concerning the additional map would be most welcome. I am sure the family would really appreciate what you are doing. I will of course mention your help to them when I send the items to the family. Once again thank you. I personally think the Officer in question was very unlucky to be killed so near the armistice, just him and one other killed that day from his battalion. The rumours of a possible up and coming armistice must have been discussed among the troops at that time, What a waste of life. 

Regards

Andy