Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best battlefield guide book?

Saudirick

I am planning a trip to the area around Arras again, I feel the last time I saw my Great Grandad's grave at Duissan that I missed many important sites. What is the general consensus for the best guide book for visiting by car and walking the sites? 'Following in the footsteps of Heroes', 'WW1 battlefields' by Bradt, 'Visiting the Somme and Ypres' and  'Walking the Somme' all seem to get decent reviews, but based on experience, which is the best book for a good overview with easy to follow maps and a good description of each area?

• Admin

Walking Arras by Paul Reed,  Arras North and South by  Tim Wright and Jim Smithson, and Arras by Jeremy Banning and Peter Barton. The latter  isn’t one to stick in your pocket though….. 

Also Western Front North by Major and Mrs Holt. 

I've never needed more than 

'Before Endeavors Fade' by Rose Coombs.

Road maps are a bit outdated but there was a 12th Edition edition that came out in 2006. I don't know if there is a later version.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

I always have "Before Endeavours Fade" close by when visiting the battlefields. 

I’m with Gunner Bailey, I’m on my 3rd copy , 1st one eventually fell apart after various tours and the 2nd never got returned. As suggested there will no doubt be changes to roads but the core of the work remains relevant.

Simon 

Mention of Rose Coombs has made me feel very old.  She was still alive and right at the very top of her game when I purchased the now extremely dog-eared copy of her first iteration Before Endeavours Fade.  She was extraordinary and so was/is her book.

Edited by FROGSMILE