The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers (2nd Special Brigade) war diary June 1916

RaySearching

I have the following soldier

Corporal JAMES LAMBERT COLE
113301 2nd Special Bde Royal Engineers

I had previously wrote when researching this soldier

James was killed in action aged 21 on June 28th 1916 just prior to the opening of the Somme offensive. James met his death whilst overcoming a gas leakage into a fire trench saving many others from the risk of death he was buried with an officer 2nd Lieut Frederick William Caton and  Sergeant Douglas Hartley of  the same section who were also killed in the same action his resting place marked with a cross,

I have been trying to find the relevant war diary at the National archives for the 2nd Special Bde Royal Engineers for the period in question

to confirm that the circumstances surrounding the cause of death of the soldier is correct    

Can anybody assist with locating the war diary (if one exists)  there appears to be a couple of diary's for special company's and Special Brigade Royal Engineers  but not for the period June 16

Can any of our Royal Engineers  experts assist

Regards Ray

There are people on the forum very much better qualified than me to discuss this, however the following may be of use.

Although little detail is given the incident is recorded in  TNA WO 95-122-1, War Diary 4th Battalion Royal Engineers. The officer is named but not the OR casualties.

The CWGC website shows Cole's unit as you describe, but  the scan of the Graves Registration Report Form lists him as 4th Battalion.

11 hours ago, RaySearching said:

I have the following soldier

Corporal JAMES LAMBERT COLE
113301 2nd Special Bde Royal Engineers

I had previously wrote when researching this soldier

James was killed in action aged 21 on June 28th 1916 just prior to the opening of the Somme offensive. James met his death whilst overcoming a gas leakage into a fire trench saving many others from the risk of death he was buried with an officer 2nd Lieut Frederick William Caton and  Sergeant Douglas Hartley of  the same section who were also killed in the same action his resting place marked with a cross,

I have been trying to find the relevant war diary at the National archives for the 2nd Special Bde Royal Engineers for the period in question

to confirm that the circumstances surrounding the cause of death of the soldier is correct    

Can anybody assist with locating the war diary (if one exists)  there appears to be a couple of diary's for special company's and Special Brigade Royal Engineers  but not for the period June 16

Can any of our Royal Engineers  experts assist

Regards Ray

2nd Bn war diaries are under WO95/121/2.  and WO95/ 121/3

TR

Interesting. Per Wigeons post I have a record of 2Lt Caton serving with 4th Battalion. The Special Brigade Summary of Operations does not show 2nd Battalion in action on 28th June, but it does show them on operations on the 27th June, in particular G and H Companies. A Coy was attached from 1st Bn.

image.png.50c2f18aaa250c38d6b281c97a6ef6c7.png

The left column shows the division being supported and the last two columns show the number of cylinders used and the contents, in this case 50/50 chlorine and phosgene.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Many thanks for the reply's Terry and Wigeon and the links

I have downloaded the diary's  no mention at all with the 2nd Bn

I am thinking the 2nd Bn is an error on the CWGC register and J.L.Cole served with the 4th Bn

I was just revising some notes and biographies I wrote several years ago 

I have retraced the source of the information regarding the cause of his death, it came from a newspaper report

which I have added below, Of course there may have been a bit of journalistic "enhancement" in the newspaper report  

nevertheless his death was was certainly due to gas poisoning

732449823_4aug16jlcole.JPG.54dc3b939fadfced3b57ed66474d2e02.JPG

The man in question

952282183_ColeJamesLambertCpl1133012ndSpecialBdeRoyalEngineersI.C11thJuly16.JPG.26069ec93059fc055ac56e6038638b5f.JPG

Regards Ray

There is a bit more info in the WD of 4A Bn SB (WO 95/122/2). Lt Caton is named but not the other ranks.

Brian

AWigeon previously posted the three R.E are listed on the CWGC GRU document as 4th Bn

gru.JPG.b1a352ab8ae80c33bf87d4425a31d179.JPG

Hartley and Caton share a grave   (Hartley erroneously shown on the Gru doc as having died on the 27th (possibly a typo)

although Hartley is shown on the soldiers effects records and  pension document as having died on the 28th

1148739512_HartleyDouglas(143054).jpg.46e381b62ca2df67007ff0d607377362.jpg

617119639_douglashartleyr.e.JPG.d625cf04f68ab9b933f202ade2e4ed48.JPG

and just to muddy the water a little Hartley is shown as 2nd Bn on the effects record

Ray