Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Hospital, Bangor, N Wales

Guest sue adams

Guest sue adams

I have discovered my grandmother served as nurse with the QAIMNS at the Military Hospital, Bangor, N Wales, after repatriation from Egypt in 1917.

Does anyone have any information about this hospital?

Family legend also has it that she nursed German POWs from a camp in Penmaenmawr. Could this be true? Was there a POW camp there? Would any German patients be taken to the military hospital?

Any information on either topic would be very welcome. Thank you.

Sue

Sue

Although I can't add anything about Bangor, I'm sure that German prisoners of war would have been treated at the hospital if they were held nearby. They would have received the same treatment as any other sick soldier - either in camp if there were suitable medical facilities there, or otherwise in the nearest hospital able to cope with that particular problem. Could they possibly have been internees rather than military POWs?

Regards

Sue

• 1 year later...

Hello Sue,

There was a military hospital in Bangor, located at the western (Glanadda) end of the town, just off the Caernarfon Road, possibly by 1916. It (or part of it, or a rebuilt version) later became St.Davids Hospital, and I was born there 40 years after the Great War began!

The buildings (plus a chapel) were demolished within the last few years, to make way for the ubiquitous intrusive chain-store retail park...

Some fatalities may have been buried across the way in Glanadda Cemetery. The introduction to the Comm. War Graves Commission's Register for Caernarfonshire/Bangor may have a little more info., or ask via the part of the Forum which is trying to list known UK medical facilities in WW1.

Regards,

LST_164

Sue,

There was a work camp at Penmaenmawr which operated under Frongoch.

Doug

Fron-goch was a POW camp near Bala. Aside from German POW's it also housed nearly 2000 Irish republicans taken during and after the Easter Rising of 1916. At this point the German POW's were moved out to make space. I believe that, amongst others, Michael Collins was there for a time. If anyone is interested there are some photo's here: http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/themeitems/14764

There is a book available, 'Fron-Goch and the Birth of the IRA', by Lyn Ebenezer, published by Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, ISBN 0-86381-977X.

• 2 months later...
Guest clippers

Hi

The Prisoner Camp was in Penmaenmawr in a Large house called Graiglwyd, which is now a caravan site, i remember the local historian talking about it, i dont know much more than that sorry

all the best

Emma

Theres another one in Rhyl. Which is very near to Kinmel Camp (of Canadian post WW1 riots fame).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...