Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick George Hare, Machine Gun Corps

John Knopp

Frederick Hare, Service Number 87005 was transferred to MGC in January 1917 from the Army Service Corps and sent to France. I believe he was at the base depot in Carniers in Apr 1917 and was transferred to 20 Coy. The next information I have is that he was transferred back to Carniers on 24th April 1918. He was discharged on 1/6/1919 as sick (sinovitis) and later awarded the Silver War Badge. 

I believe 20 Coy went to Italy in November 1917.

Frederick returned to North Yorkshire ( Firby , nr Bedale) and died in 1935. He had a 'gammy, left leg and used to bicycle around the area on an adapted bicycle. At his funeral it was reported that he had been seriously wounded, possibly gassed and had been ill more or less since he returned home .    

I was wondering if anyone can shed a light on where Fred might have served with 20 Coy, was he with the Coy when he was injured? was that in Italy?   

This work is for a project Snape Local History Group is undertaking to record the stories of the men and a lady who are commemorated on our Village War Memorials. I hope someone can help. A picture of Fred outside his cottage is attached      

FG Hare - Civilian .jpg

He was paid a 40% pension, which was decreased to 30%, so his condition was felt to have improved slightly over time. There's nothing on the pension records to say what his disability was.

Craig

Craig beat me with most in his posts - however it may be of interest that he was originally awarded a pension of 11/- pw for his 40% disability, this later increased to 16/- pw, but later in 1922 fell to 12/- pw at 30%.

His address was originally given as: Snake, Bedale, Yorks, but later amended to Norwood, Beverley, Yorks.

His Pension Index Card is marked DEAD in 1935 [this unsurprisingly would be the claim going dead after his death]

:-) M

He has a surviving service record. This tells us that he was pensioned with synovitis of the right knee, attributed to service.

It seems he wasn't injured, he just developed the synovitis around 6 months before discharge but it looks like he was in hospital in Oct 1917

According to the record he never made it to Italy, he was in France and then returned to England on 18 April 1918.

Craig

5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Craig beat me with most in his posts - however it may be of interest that he was originally awarded a pension of 11/- pw for his 40% disability, this later increased to 16/- pw, but later in 1922 fell to 12/- pw at 30%.

The increase was due to the revision in the 40% rate between the 1918 and 1919 warrant.

Craig