Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Percy Park - 9th Bn.Rif Brig

alexcrosse

Hi, I've come her for a bit of help with researching into my Great Grandfather. I've got to a certain point, but a bit of 'checking' and some advice on how to proceed with further research would be fantastic. 

Leonard was born Feb 1899, so it would have been early 1917 when he either joined up or got his letter though. He worked at the Abbey Wood munitions and received a pocket watch from the Ladies there 31-3-1917 which is what kicked off my investigation. They only normally gave out long service watches, but he was 18, so I think it was a present as he left for the war?

I searched for a medal card and was lucky enough to come across it. He was Regtl.No S/34740, and received Victory and British War medals, and also one more which I'll touch on later.

I found his entry in the medal rolls, which revealed he was in (and I quote exactly) "9th Bn.Rif Brig." I pulled some war diaries via TNA which were "42 Infantry Brigade: 9 Battalion Rifle Brigade", ones that covered ~1916-1918. 

So I'm hoping this would be where some people may be able to help on here:

• Have I interpreted the rifle brigade correctly? There seemed to be a few specific  ones which are also 9th (london, kings, queens, scots etc)
  • Does anyone know an expected timing between signing up (potentially march) and being active. 
  • From what I've read in the diaries, this should place him at Passchendaele?

Onto the final bit (thanks if you've got this far!). He has a final medal on his card listed separately as:

GSMed   GSM/Rif Brig/3    3.4 + Clasp Iraq.

B104-117 d/13.10.24 (GSM+Iraq)

This places him additionally in Iraq around 1920? Because the rolls are for the Victory and British only there's no information for the GSM. 9th Bn disbanded before this date brackets to receive this Iraq GSM. Could anyone point me in the right direction of where I could get more info?

I've attached a picture of the watched. Hopefully its of interest to everyone on here. The idea that he served with this mind blowing to me. 

watch.jpg

#34736 was issued 19 March 1917 so #34740 would be on or shortly after.

Usually there was a month warning from the 18th birthday that they could be called up. They'd then be instructed to present themselves as and when the army required.

Craig

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

#34736 was issued 19 March 1917 so #34740 would be on or shortly after.

Usually there was a month warning from the 18th birthday that they could be called up. They'd then be instructed to present themselves as and when the army required.

Craig

Thanks Craig, what a great community to get such a useful response within minutes! 

What does 'issued' mean with regards to the person then being present at the Army / leaving home? 

I wonder if this watch managed to get to him before he left. I suppose it could have been posted to basic training.

2 minutes ago, alexcrosse said:

What does 'issued' mean with regards to the person then being present at the Army / leaving home? 

In this case it would be the number allocated for him on arrival at the depot for training.

Craig

He has post war army number of 6906617.

He appears on the medal roll for the General Service Medal with Iraq clasp with the above number but it quotes S/34740. The GSM Iraq, was issued for service between 10th December 1919 and 17th November 1920 in the qualifying area

The medal was issued in 1924.

POW

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/3222071/698/26317/ from 23/3/18 indicates B Company 9 RB

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/3222071/698/32440/

Edited by Mark1959

11 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

He has post war army number of 6906617.

He appears on the medal roll for the General Service Medal with Iraq clasp with the above number but it quotes S/34740. The GSM Iraq, was issued for service between 10th December 1919 and 17th November 1920 in the qualifying area

The medal was issued in 1924.

Thanks Mark that's great.

Is this on WO212/693? It's only available for reading on site at the moment, I don't suppose you have a copy of it personally to save me a trip into London? 

Still editing previous post. POW.

Appears in War Office list of 16/1/19 as Released Prisoner of War from Germany, arrived in England

I have sent you a message via the PM system. His GSM Iraq was for service with 1 RB

Edited by Mark1959

17 minutes ago, alexcrosse said:

Thanks Mark that's great.

Is this on WO212/693? It's only available for reading on site at the moment, I don't suppose you have a copy of it personally to save me a trip into London? 

His WW1 records are probably bundled with his post-war records still held by the MoD.

Craig