Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Swanson 7th Royal Scots

Stevend

• Admin

What do you know already about him, if anything?

51 minutes ago, Stevend said:

Nothing yet apart frkm he wasin the 7th royal scots 

Steven,

To be frank your recent thread enquiries/posts have all been very spartan and that really doesn't help us get going more easily - all of whatever info you have and source(s) always appreciated ... please. 

It would likely help us/be very useful if you would tell us your source(s) of this information.

:-) M

In the absence of further info I've got to sort of presume it is this chap on CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1589233/william-swanson ??
His parents, David and Mary Sinclair Swanson, are listed there.

From WFA/Fold3
His grandmother, Mrs Isabella Sinclair of 26 Grant Street, Wick, claimed a dependant's pension - looks like she might have got one. [claim became dead before/in 1931
His aunt, Miss Jessie Sinclair (37) of 24 Grant Street, Wick, also claimed one - but failed as no prior dependence.

If not - a better steer with all the info you have would be appreciated.

Edited by Matlock1418
strikethrough as all in error

As  i already replied  I haven't anymore information apart from a signed photo

This is the only source of information  I have but giving it wouldn't  have got me anymore information 

But thank you for what you have provided it now gives more clarity to my request 

54 minutes ago, Stevend said:

I haven't anymore information apart from a signed photo

Ah ... though such info is always useful from the start please.

If you can post a copy of the photo then even better - we here on GWF all love a photo! = Any sign of rank or other badges?

Edited by Matlock1418
expand

Steven,

My sincere apologies = I took a stab at a casualty above [sorry, incorrectly - having mis-read adjacent 'hits' at CWGC & then not followed through correctly - should use my eyes better!] - the above WS seems quite likely not to have been a 7RS! :-(

But there are other "William SWANSON" who actually served with the Royal Scots - MIC at Ancestry for: 

Name                      Regiment or Corps                        Regimental Number

William P Swanson The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) 25615  =  MIC has as a Sgt

William Swanson    The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment), Labour Corps   4133, 512495 - WFA/Fold3 pension card also offers 301666 for RS

William Swanson     The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment), King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry [Wrongly transcribed at Ancestry = King's Own Scottish Borderers]  48834, 41926  - Medal Roll gives 1/4th RS & 2 KOSB

William Swanson      The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)  7023  = A casualty but down as 2RS on MIC and at CWGC

Chalmers W Swanson The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) 25029  = A casualty but MIC as transcribed, CWGC as Chalmers William Swanson, but 16RS - has a SR at Ancestry but seems 16RS from start/throughout

Edited by Matlock1418
expand

The LLT has this on 7RS:

1/7th Battalion
August 1914 : in Dalmeny Street, Leith. Part of Lothian Brigade, Scottish Coast Defences.
24 April 1915 : transferred to 156th (Scottish Rifles) Brigade, 52nd (Lowland) Division.
A and D Companies were involved in a rail accident at Quintinshill near Gretna on 22 May 1915 while en-route to Liverpool from Larbert in Stirlingshire. 210 men were killed and 224 injured, forming the majority of the 473 casualties of the worst disaster in British railway history.
Sailed from Liverpool 24 May 1915, going via Egypt to Gallipoli 14 June 1915.
Returned to Egypt 8 January 1916.
Moved to France, landing at Marseilles, 17 April 1918.

2/7th Battalion
Formed at Leith in August 1914. Moved to Peebles in March 1915.
November 1915 : attached to 194th Brigade, 65th Division at Larbert.
Moved to Essex in March 1916, going on to Dublin in January 1917.
Disbanded in March 1918.

16 minutes ago, Stevend said:

I did look kn backside of photo and its dated 1916

Is the date just 1916 or more accurately dated?

The good news if the photo is 1916 [and no CWGC entry] is that it seems he was not a Quintinshill rail disaster victim, well not a fatal one anyway.  He might perhaps have been injured [?] - Any evidence of injury in the photo?  Might it possibly have been taken during recuperation ??  Presuming it must be in uniform - What sort of uniform?  Service or hospital?

The other potential problem is that he might not have left the UK as 7 RS so a MIC may perhaps not be the way forward either.  :-/

???

25 minutes ago, Stevend said:

quite a few Swanson 's  

Another one [from his SR as a Pension record at Ancestry] - William Swanson, 4309, 3 RS - discharged as medically unfit on 22.10.14 after 18 days service, aged 39 [he had had previous service] - so seems rather unlikely.

Any chance of that photo? - How old is/does WS look like?

Edited by Matlock1418
source

Was he a relative of yours or have you been given/bought the photo?  Just wondering how you come to have this.  If you take a photo of the photo on a mobile phone you can post it here via the ‘add files’ below. 

A William Swanson 7th RS (EBay):

s-l1600.jpg.f9ae3849af15aa8c30447b290ed5d09f.jpg

"2x Privates serving with the Royal Scots at Richmond, Yorkshire. One of the men is Pte William Swanson, 7th Royal Scots [ details taken from an associated card ]. Inscribed to the reverse " with Love from Will, Richmond 27/10/16 ". "

Thank you for posting the photo I always like seeing who is being researched plus when I spotted ‘Wick’ earlier I thought of the many Swansons there and in Thurso and was going to suggest posting in the Caithness Courier in case someone recognised the face.  
does that say ‘not Cody’ across the photo? 

12 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

does that say ‘not Cody’ across the photo? 

"DO NOT COPY"!!!

;-) M

Sorry couldn’t see a ‘do’ and likely need new glasses!