Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bert Webb

M H West

Hello again,

I'm looking for a bit of help in finding a soldier called Bert Webb. He was born 19 July 1887 in Camden London, and the registratio shows him as BERT. His wife was Lilian Martha Hawkridge and they had 4 children, Lilian, Emily, Florence and Bert. All were London born.  On one census he is shown as Bert Mahoney as his mother had remarried, but everythig else has him as Webb.

In 1911 he was 23 and had been married 2 years, and had one child. He was a Potman and Barman. In 1939 he was living in West Ham

The family say he fought on the Somme. I have searched all the obvious records - can anyone suggest something/somewhere else?

Thankyou,

Is this the baptism of the eldest child

47007_552786-00549.jpg.5fce8fb91539b3d7524775a57e463740.jpg

Courtesy Ancestry

Bit of a come down from Cabinet maker to Potboy if so

George

Yes, that's him. He seems to have changed occupations quite a bit. In 1901 (aged 13)  he's a labourer in a chemical works. His stepfather Tim Mahoney was a carpenter, so possibly he was working with him in 1909, in 1914 he's a Postman (which is what he appears to be in 1939) but possiby that's a mis transcription. I wonder of he had an injury that affected his hands in some way?

There is an Albert Webb attested ASC T314395 Nov 25th 1915  NOK Lill Webb and duplicate attestation form named as Bert .Checked again and the copy is faded and is Albert with home service only.

Edited by EDWARD1

Albert Webb T314395  ASC

married Lily E Bewley on the 25th June 1911 in Stepney

which indicates that this Albert Webb is not the man you are seeking

Ray