Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Deciphering Hospital Locations please:

MERLINV12

Hopefully some one can help decipher 2 handwritten words in the image below, the first one is in the middle of the rubber stamp "Cont......., maybe ??

The 2nd one is the word/words under what I believe is "Gatcombe" in the 2nd entry ??

Have done the usual searches, but cannot make any matches.

TIA

2051241424_HOSPLOCATION.jpg.20e6b46745f310c47bad867cb9385d50.jpg

Could the first word be

continuation (?)

And the next bit 

'aux...*****'

George

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Gatcombe auxiliary hospital

Thanks Craig, it becomes obvious when you see it written :)

Craig & George,

Still not sure, no tail for a g in contagious, and the cross of the t is in the wrong place for continuation.

Any other suggestions, confirmations anyone ??

Definitely

Cont...and ends ...te

George

Thanks Bardess & George,

Had a little play, taken out the form dots & line, maybe doesn't start with a "C", maybe a "P" which could make it Portsmouth, which is where the hospital was ??

305429744_HOSPLOCATION.jpg.a45cda34ee9d7cc4f463bc34b3dc9b14.jpg

Edited by MERLINV12

13 minutes ago, MERLINV12 said:

Thanks Bardess & George,

Had a little play, taken out the form dots & line, maybe doesn't start with a "C", maybe a "P" which could make it Portsmouth, which is where the hospital was ??

305429744_HOSPLOCATION.jpg.a45cda34ee9d7cc4f463bc34b3dc9b14.jpg

Isn’t that Haslar?

8 minutes ago, MERLINV12 said:

Sorry, you have lost me, Haslar ???

The hospital at Portsmouth.  It is quite famous, although not auxiliary but a principal establishment, so that fits with the “General” category on the stamp.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The hospital at Portsmouth.  It is quite famous, although not auxiliary but a principal establishment, so that fits with the “General” category on the stamp.

Probably not Haslar.

LLT shows this...

5th Southern General. A TF General Hospital in Portsmouth. 48 officers and 989 other ranks.

Interesting that it's TF hospital. 

1 hour ago, Alan24 said:

Probably not Haslar.

LLT shows this...

5th Southern General. A TF General Hospital in Portsmouth. 48 officers and 989 other ranks.

Interesting that it's TF hospital. 

Thanks Alan, that all appears to fit.  It seems that the: 
“5th Southern General Hospital was based at the Priory School in Fawcett Road, Fratton, Portmouth with additional wards at Portsmouth Royal Hospital, Portsea Island Union Infirmary in Milton Street, and in private homes nearby.“

It was one of 21 set up by the TF Nursing Service pre war and 19 were fully operational by the end of 1914. Before the war they were used for teaching, although all TF Nurses were apparently already nurses in civilian life, unlike the entirely separate VAD.

For @MERLINV12:  see two pages here (link to second page at bottom of first - https://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME053-1914/page445-volume53-5thdecember1914.pdf

677F3E3B-FA0D-44FA-BFA4-F851E39F6287.jpeg

EABAABF5-A016-4310-917F-4C1E391CFCF8.jpeg

E97C2645-FA4A-4BEF-BB86-9AA190808CE7.jpeg

A5903208-BD79-48DD-8466-11A14E9089EE.jpeg

B1B8F6CD-BE14-43FF-AFE3-45A61042F979.jpeg

7330DB40-BA9F-4494-8D59-232D54B74B8F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

20 hours ago, MERLINV12 said:

Sorry, you have lost me, Haslar ???

20 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Not the Royal (Naval) Hospital Haslar, which was - the buildings still are - in Gosport, the town on the other side of Portsmouth Harbour.

23 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Not the Royal (Naval) Hospital Haslar, which was - the buildings still are - in Gosport, the town on the other side of Portsmouth Harbour.

Yes I think we solved that earlier in the thread seaJane?  Didn’t I post the actual addresses and also some photos of the buildings today?

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I think we solved that earlier in the thread seaJane?  Didn’t I post the actual addresses and also some photos of the buildings today?

I saw that - apologies for failing to acknowledge it - but I didn't want to leave the impression floating that Haslar was either a general hospital or in Portsmouth. I should have prefixed my post with something to that effect! very sorry.

13 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I saw that - apologies for failing to acknowledge it - but I didn't want to leave the impression floating that Haslar was either a general hospital or in Portsmouth. I should have prefixed my post with something to that effect! very sorry.

No problem, I was just a bit confused without the context.  I found it interesting as it wasn’t at first apparent that the Royal hospital was included in the trio of facilities, as in some accounts it’s been omitted.  Fortunately good old Sue Light had made the situation clear in an old thread.

Edited by FROGSMILE