Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family notification of death and wounding

david bush

Hi,

I am hoping someone may be able to answer a quick question. Apart from the war office weeks casualty list, how were british families informed on wounding or death? if at all. My Grandfather was gassed in 1917, he appears in the casualty list and I'm wandering if that was the only information my grandmother wound have received or would she have been able to access more detail as to what happened to him? Hope someonee may be kind enough to answer

David

• Admin

Been discussed a number of times (forum search is your friend) also on the LLT

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/what-happened-to-a-soldier-who-died/

Two relevant threads

Apart from the official notification the C.O. and/or Chaplain would often write to nok of soldiers killed, the latter with details of the internment if there was a burial.  You do not say whether or not the man who was gassed died.  If wounded he could of course send a card to his relative which would be received very quickly.

On 25/10/2021 at 02:25, david bush said:

I am hoping someone may be able to answer a quick question. Apart from the war office weeks casualty list, how were british families informed on wounding or death?

Hi David, I am researching  my Grandfathers wounding at the moment. His mother was sent a telegram just like the one pictured on the LLTrail. From memory as I have not seen it for many years, it just said his name, rank, number and regiment with the words 'Gun shot wound head' Very blunt but to the point. His mother next had a letter inviting her to visit her son at a hospital in France before he was shipped home, at the militarys  expense. I believe one of his uncles went across to visit him. This was March 1917, he was a private in a territorial infantry regiment. having served in France since October 1915. My Grandfather eventually made it home. Regards, Bob.

3 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Hi David, I am researching  my Grandfathers wounding at the moment. His mother was sent a telegram just like the one pictured on the LLTrail. From memory as I have not seen it for many years, it just said his name, rank, number and regiment with the words 'Gun shot wound head' Very blunt but to the point. His mother next had a letter inviting her to visit her son at a hospital in France before he was shipped home, at the militarys  expense. I believe one of his uncles went across to visit him. This was March 1917, he was a private in a territorial infantry regiment. having served in France since October 1915. My Grandfather eventually made it home. Regards, Bob.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your reply

The WFA have an online narrative for a wounded soldier who later died.

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/on-this-day/19-march-1916-pte-cecil-hugh-peckham/

Interesting that the LLT telegram for Hobbs is from the WO to the relatives and for Wilson it's a letter (a Household Bn. variation?) Whereas the WFA telegrams are from the WO to the Regional Infantry Office and I guess were retained in his file.

The WO seem to ask the Regional office to inform the relatives regarding the wound and the death. 

In another topic there are three telegrams, one from Etaples Medical Officer to the WO noting an officer's death then two of the same date from the WO to the relative. First is a notification of the wound and visiting pass, the second his death and the cancelling of the pass.

You may need to scroll down.

TEW

David,

There appeared to be a number of forms which were used as partially pre-printed letters to next of kin in case a soldier had been killed, wounded or been reported missing.  This earlier thread may be of interest.

David.