Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lone soldier Peter Hodgson

Pegbron

T3/023231 Sergeant

Army service corps 

Good evening, I hope someone can shed some light for me please.

I have a young man in the churchyard next to my house in Bettws South Wales with a war grave headstone. I've been trying to find out about his journey and untimely death. It seems he was born in the tiny hamlet of Skyrholm near Skipton. His parents may well have moved to South Wales to work in the coalfields?  I can't find much information on the 24th Division. I know there is a street in Verguier named after them. Peter passed away in a hospital in Southampton  on 20th April 1918 aged 22. I would like to know where he would have been sent, especially in the last few months and days of his short life. His grave is next to the church wall, but sadly seems long forgotten. But not by me. I quite often stop and wonder what horrors he endured. 

Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks

Sarah 

20211023_132157.jpg

Welcome to the forum Sarah

Peter was the son of Joseph and Ada Hodgson, 21 Pleasant View, Pontyrhyll, Bridgend.

Illness appears to have been the cause of death and the pension ledger cards may hold more specific information.  

Can I ask where 24th Division fits in and where this information comes from?

J

Hello J, 

Thanks for the reply.  I can't find the file I was looking at. But  gave Peters details including 24th Division 195th Battalion. Talked about kitcheners new army.

I'll try find the info

Thanks

S

Hello J, 

Thanks for the reply.  I can't find the file I was looking at. But  gave Peters details including 24th Division 195th Battalion. Talked about kitcheners new army.

I'll try find the info

Thanks

S

Screenshot_20211024-215917_Samsung Internet.jpg

Found it!

Website called Cravens part in the Great War.

1 hour ago, Pegbron said:

T3/023231 Sergeant

Army service corps 

Good evening, I hope someone can shed some light for me please.

Hello Sarah, welcome to the forum, where in my mind every post is a new day at school. I learn a lot here. Looking at the Long Long Trail, the ASC  played a huge part in the war. From the prefix T on his service number, Peter Hodgson was involved in horse transport. Without looking I cannot give you any more but thank you for bringing him back to the light on here. Regards, Bob. The link will take you to the long long trail service numbers......http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/letter-prefixes-to-british-soldiers-numbers-in-the-first-world-war/

Hi Charlie,

He certainly did!

That news about Sergeant Hodgson has for me, brought his memory back to life.

Thank you so much.

Sarah

Here is the church where he lies, just behind the wall, middle of the picture.

Amazing. Thanks all!

Screenshot_20211018-122324_Gallery.jpg

As you will see, he was admitted to the 41st Casualty Clearing Station on 3/4/1918 with Abdominal problems (NYD=Not Yet Diagnosed). Passing by No 9 General Hospital at Rouen he was shipped to England on the Hospital Ship Carrisbrook Castle on 10/4/18 and 10 days later he died.

Wow, that's more than I'd hoped for. 

The cause of death cert is very graphic. That poor lad.

The last file on  his character is very faint. Will try decipher tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help.

Very emotional.

Sarah 

20 hours ago, Pegbron said:

The last file on  his character is very faint. Will try decipher tomorrow.

Here are the bits I could read. It is a very good character assessment. He clearly thrived in the Army. Attested, aged 19y8m, 4th November 1914 and within 11 months was a Sergeant.

1. Transport Sergeant
2  Unimpeachable
3    ??  ??
4  Very
5  Have no means of judging. NCO concerned was a Coal Miner.
6  -
7 Excellent control of men and popular

Charlie

50 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

3    ??  ??

[3. Is he reliable?]  "Most certainly"?

***edit : Ah, I now see there's a separate thread to this :

But we came to the same conclusion.....

Edited by JWK

1 minute ago, JWK said:

[3. Is he reliable?]  "Most certainly"?

JWK, thanks

I have posed this question in a seperate thread here and the first reply suggests the same.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie, better eyes than mine.

On his service record, the time around end of 1917. Can you make sense of that please? I can only see odd letters.

Cheers

Sarah 

He first went to France with 194 HQ Company of the 24th Divisional Train (ie part of 24 Division)

He remained within that 24th Divisional Train but was posted to No1 Company at some stage (too faint to read) and then to No2 Company on 19/10/17

Ediut- see next post for explanation of No1 and No2 Companies

Edited by charlie962

The 24th Division has an order of battle and a summary of main events here on the LongLongTail

You will note the ASC Companies in the Divisional Train are numbered 194,195,196 and 197

I suggest that the reference to No1 Co is the first of the Train's companies- ie 194 Co- because we know he started there.

Similarly reference to No2 Co means the second company ie 195- the company quoted on CWGC's record you posted earlier.

Thanks again for all the information.

Will sit down and have a read through. So incredible to be able to  follow his  movements from the quiet of his home village and away to war.

Sarah