Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with duplicate regimental numbering

jonbowen

I recently acquired a trio for  50572 Driver Ernest William  Pybus  a driver in the Royal Artillery. On checking his star medal roll I've come across a duplicate record in the name of John Kent directly above him on the roll.

I've seen on other threads that this can happen but as I'm struggling to find much else on a  Pybus in the R.A. I was wondering whether this could be a genuine mistake nd if so how do I trace the true number?  If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful

1933727038_ScreenShot2021-10-24at09_20_44.png.ee19427b6ac727e6724f1aeedb368326.png

It is not a mistake. The RH and RFA Regular series was reset to 1 having reached 99999 at the end of August 1914. Due to New Army recruiting, 50000 and above was reached before the end of that year. John Kent was a pre-war Regular.

16 minutes ago, jonbowen said:

I recently acquired a trio for  50572 Driver Ernest William  Pybus  a driver in the Royal Artillery. On checking his star medal roll I've come across a duplicate record in the name of John Kent directly above him on the roll.

I've seen on other threads that this can happen but as I'm struggling to find much else on a  Pybus in the R.A. I was wondering whether this could be a genuine mistake nd if so how do I trace the true number?  If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful

1933727038_ScreenShot2021-10-24at09_20_44.png.ee19427b6ac727e6724f1aeedb368326.png

The wonderful world of Army numbering. Intentional duplication of service numbers - you'll see it a lot across the army as a whole.

Craig