Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Bdr: Help reading signature please

David26

I wondered if anyone could help me make out the name of this Bombardier in the Royal Field Artillery please?  He signed a witness statement in January 1919 reporting an accident involving Gunner Frank Albert Varallo (94385) of C/58 in which he, Varallo and others were unloading a wagon when a barrel crushed Varallo's finger against the side of a wagon.  

It looks to me as if the surname might be Williams, but I can't make out the initials.  Might anyone be able to help?

David.

image.png.759198b3c79f0dd9049ebfd173ee39fd.png

Looks like Williams

initials perhaps J P

Just now, corisande said:

Looks like Williams

initials perhaps J P

Thanks corisande.   I wondered if the large flourish could be a J, but there is quite a tangle of script lower down that I find it hard to make out - P, C and E all look possible to me.

1 minute ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I, J And/or C. Williams BCh  (Baccalaureus in Chirurgiae) (Medical degree).

Thanks DByS - looking at LoWW1 (which I appreciate presents an inexact set of data) they list RFA Bombardiers called Williams with the following initial combinations for those starting I and J: 

I, IJ, J, JA, JC, JD, JE, JH, JJ, JS, JT

so that helps narrow initial further research.

David. 

6 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I, J And/or C. Williams BCh  (Baccalaureus in Chirurgiae) (Medical degree).

In the RFA, much more likely to be Bdr (bombardier)?

36 minutes ago, BillyH said:

It looks like J.E. Williams to me.

BillyH.

Thanks BillyH.

I have so far drawn a blank, unfortunately.  I've looked into all of the Williams listed in LoWW1 who have two initials, starting with either an I or a J, and whose MIC recorded that they were a Bombardier, and not been able to positively identify him.  That includes the only one with the initials J E who was Bdr John Edward Williams (136425) but I can't find any service record, pension card etc to link him to being the man I was looking for.

David.

Dvr Vallaro and the OC (Capt Foster) are both recorded as from C Battery, 58th Brigade.  Having unloaded a few wagons myself, I know that individuals are unlikely to be posted in for that particular job,  It seems probable that Bdr ?.?. Williams is also from the same unit. Good example of creative use of a Field Service Notebook.

On 23/10/2021 at 10:53, PhilB said:

In the RFA, much more likely to be Bdr (bombardier)?

Yes you're right, what I initially saw as BCH is in fact Bdr.

4 hours ago, TullochArd said:

Dvr Vallaro and the OC (Capt Foster) are both recorded as from C Battery, 58th Brigade.  Having unloaded a few wagons myself, I know that individuals are unlikely to be posted in for that particular job,  It seems probable that Bdr ?.?. Williams is also from the same unit. Good example of creative use of a Field Service Notebook.

Yes, thanks TullochArd.  Like you, I am sure Williams must also be C/58.  I had hoped to be able to find out more about who he might be as part of my efforts to commemorate all those I can find who served in that brigade, but I've just popped him down as 'Bdr Williams' for the time being.