Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horse Transport Companies, Army Service Corps

AJC

Just now, KernelPanic said:

Got it. Thanks. Just shows you how complicated the ASC numbering was.

I'm glad (In a curious way) that my research has also brought up a whole load more questions than answers as well.
It has been a pain. 

I'm also searching for my grandad (T4 058059 son)
despite being relatively recent i am at a dead end, my dad has given me strong but vague information.
I have no service number, just possible regiments he was in.

I see you found hospital admissions records for 1917 for T4/058509 Carter. I presume you found them through Forces War Records? Find my Past have scanned the same records but I did not get to see the one's you found.

Charlie

9 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I see you found hospital admissions records for 1917 for T4/058509 Carter. I presume you found them through Forces War Records? Find my Past have scanned the same records but I did not get to see the one's you found.

Charlie

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/7293595/driver-c-carter-army-service-corps/ Yes 

Frustrating not to find it on FMP. I know FWR did a lot of work with their transcriptions to make them as accurate as possible.

844 Horse Transport Company was formed in Salonika on 25/10/1916 as part of the 22nd Divisional Train. (source WO 95-5494-2)

Prior to this Carter must have been in a different unit?

Charlie

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

Frustrating not to find it on FMP. I know FWR did a lot of work with their transcriptions to make them as accurate as possible.

844 Horse Transport Company was formed in Salonika on 25/10/1916 as part of the 22nd Divisional Train. (source WO 95-5494-2)

Prior to this Carter must have been in a different unit?

Charlie

Indeed Charlie, the 844th Coy was designated Train Pack Echelon (HT). The 845th, 846th and 847th (all 22nd Division and all Train Pack Echelon HT Coys) were also formed in the same date. One wonders if the nucleus of these units was the units of the Divisional Supply Train (108th - 111th HT Coys, all designated Train (Wheeled Echelon) (HT) and Charlie Carter was plucked from me of these. His date of entry may suggest part of a draft to bolster ranks. Alas none of these units diaries are digitised yet and are only available to view in person.

It’s lucky that Charlie Carter turned up on a casualty list which recorded his unit. ASC men are notorious difficult to research without service papers and  as for ASC service numbers... best not to spend too much time there :blink:

18 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

His date of entry may suggest part of a draft to bolster ranks.

The 22nd Division made these moves according to LongLongTrail:

The Division crossed to France in early September 1915, all units being concentrated near Flesselles by 9th of the month. But the stay in France was to be very short.

On 27 October 1915, the Division, having been moved by train to Marseilles, began to embark for Salonika. It completed concentration there in November, although the final artillery units were still coming in as late as 13 December 1915. The 22nd Division remained in the theatre for the rest of the war,

Do you know offhand if 22 Div units had 14/15 Stars with entry (1) and a Sept 1915 date or did they have Balkans 2a and Oct-Dec dates- particularly the support arms?

If the latter it is always possible Carter went out from UK with 22 Div's ASC units? Just a thought.

Charlie

The original 22nd Divisional Supply Column (186th - 189th) were transferred to 30th Division on arrival to Salonika. The 10th Divisional Supply Column (108th - 111th) didn’t go overseas with the division but were transferred to the 22nd Division on their arrival to Salonika. I’d hope the dates are recorded in the WDs which is a shame they haven’t yet been digitised... especially in the current climate.

It’s Charlie’s Medal Index Card (MIC) most of the information it noted in above posts, the references on the left relate to the Medal Roll Ledgers again see above posts.

Here’s a colour copy...

E638951B-029C-4836-8BD8-4C992E844924.jpeg.988500dd26876b65932b63cf53dec53c.jpeg

Edited by jay dubaya
Eh...

Of the ASC war diaries that I have studied, the best sections to read with regard to troop movements in and out of the companies, are those compiled by the SMTO, the Senior Mechanical Transport Officer of each company.

I suppose they were the people who ultimately organised the movements, and tended to be very good at documenting numbers of men and vehicles, where they came from and where they went.

38 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

It’s Charlie’s Medal Index Card (MIC) most of the information it noted in above posts, the references on the left relate to the Medal Roll Ledgers again see above posts.

Here’s a colour copy...

how do you guys/gals get better image documents? 
I'm paying good money (which i don't mind) and the documents are grainy 

Thank you for a clearer document

E638951B-029C-4836-8BD8-4C992E844924.jpeg.988500dd26876b65932b63cf53dec53c.jpeg

Apologies... I should have referenced the image, courtesy of ancestry.co.uk. Many of these sites offer a freeby from time to time also many are available to use freely through local libraries.

5 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Apologies... I should have referenced the image, courtesy of ancestry.co.uk. Many of these sites offer a freeby from time to time also many are available to use freely through local libraries.

Membership

Essentials membership EXPIRING

Started: 24 May 2021
Expires: 24 November 2021

Pay-Per-View, 12 record views for 14 days ACTIVE

Started: 16 October 2021
Views available: 7~

and i still couldn't find it.

(but i really appreciated the image)

Good colour images of MICs are available free all the time on Ancestry.co.uk as long as you create a free account.
Low quality grainy black and white images are available from the National Archives, usually at a cost of £3.50. But during the pandemic, if you create an account, you can access them also for free (fair usage monthly restrictions apply).