Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horse Transport Companies, Army Service Corps

AJC

Why would my Great grandfather have 2 service numbers?
No. 1 Horse Transport Company
With 47th Division, Territorial Force
(service number-832)

844th Horse Transport Company
(Service Number-T4/058509)

He was a driver in both.

Thanks in advance

Alan

• Admin

Welcome aboard @AJC As you had posted on a very old thread, I have split this into a new one. What was his name for starters please? The territorial forces were renumbered in 1917. 
Some information on ASC and renumbering here

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-army-service-corps-in-the-first-world-war/

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/
Michelle 

Welcome,

Mike Young's book states that new regimental numbers were given to  all Territorial Force personnel transferred in 1916.
832 would be his old TF number, and T4/058509 his new number.

However, numbers from the block around 58509 suggest  they was issued in April or May 1915.
Do you have his service record?

I see he was posted to the Balkans on 5/12/1915.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

There was a Charles Carter of the ASC (2nd Ldn Div) no 832 but he was discharged sick 21/12/15 so he can hardly have landed Balkans 5/12/15 which is Charlie Carter's record

Charles Carter 832 has Pension cards with his/widows address

Edited by charlie962

832's Silver War Badge Roll says no overseas service but his MIC gives him 15 Star BWM and VM (entry 16/3/15 France).

All designed to confuse.

455th Coy was 47th (2nd London) Division
844th Coy was 22nd Division

TF and New Army, time served and re-enlisted?

9 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Only on paper?...

Hmmm

This is 832's 14/15 Roll which has an interesting note that might explain changes of service number. But there are two sets of Medals/MICs                                                                           

1482329004_GWFCarterCASC15Star.JPG.f17d8460cb3ca036fe9edc69f1203d10.JPG                                                                                                                                                                                                

Edited by charlie962
Courtesy Ancestry Medal Rolls

• Admin

tagging @AJC to alert him to the answers 

13 hours ago, charlie962 said:

We need feedback from OP

Charles Carter 832 has widow Ellen Gertrude in 1933 at  1 Shepherds Place Kennington Rd, London SE11

Thanks for all the very valuable information (and your time) 
I have to assume now that (TF) T/832 and T4/058509 are not the same person. (though a lot of dates match up)
As T4/058509 (Charlie) Carters' spouse was Margaret and not Ellen.

It is T4/05
8509 (844th Horse Transport Company) I am more interested in now.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to clarifying some possible issues with my search for further information.

Alan

As an aside the 844th Coy wasn’t formed until 25th October 1916. He must have had previous service with another unit. His date of entry on the MIC may hold a clue to which unit he went overseas with.

4 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

As an aside the 844th Coy wasn’t formed until 25th October 1916. He must have had previous service with another unit. His date of entry on the MIC may hold a clue to which unit he went overseas with.

Battalion:No. 844 Company 
Archive Reference:
MH106/569 (1917 Mar 31-1917 Apr 7)
No.31 Casualty Clearing Station: British other ranks, Greeks and Cypriots

(and)

MH106/587 (1917 Dec 15-1917 Dec 31)
No.31 Casualty Clearing Station: British other ranks

(Both- Ailment:Inflammation of Connective Tissue)

I have attached a txt profile of what i know so far

Charles Charlie Carter.txt

Clearly we started off with two individuals, a Charlie and a Charles Carter. 
I realise this may appear as a basic question but it’s one I do not know the answer to. How do you know that your Charles or Charlie Carter served with the ASC and how do we know we have the right Charles or Charlie? There are several more Charles Carter, ASC on the MICs. As much factual information as you can add for your great grandfather would be appreciated and indeed helpful to proceed any further.

1 hour ago, jay dubaya said:

Clearly we started off with two individuals, a Charlie and a Charles Carter. 
I realise this may appear as a basic question but it’s one I do not know the answer to. How do you know that your Charles or Charlie Carter served with the ASC and how do we know we have the right Charles or Charlie? There are several more Charles Carter, ASC on the MICs. As much factual information as you can add for your great grandfather would be appreciated and indeed helpful to proceed any further.

I was researching based on his medals an going back through what i know through my ancestry, Which i am happy to share the .ged file too.
Here is one of his medals.
(going further back and realizing, names* , dates, ages, military jobs and regiments/battalions all matched i had assumed that 832 was also "Charlie"
*I must add "Charlie" was a nickname and he was in fact Charles on his birth certificate (Hence the still possible confusion)

ccarter.jpg

ccarter birth.png

As Dai noted upthread, his 1914-15 medal roll shows him first disembarking in Greek Macedonia, Serbia and Bulgaria (2a) on Dec 5th 1915, and being discharged in June of 1919.

(Ancestry.co.ok)

Untitled.jpg

Edited by KernelPanic

13 minutes ago, KernelPanic said:

His 1914-15 medal roll shows him first disembarking in Greek Macedonia, Serbia and Bulgaria (2a) on Dec 5th 1915, and being discharged in June of 1919.

(Ancestry.co.ok)

Untitled.jpg

How did you find that?
That's an amazing piece of info thank you so much
Found at:https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/5119/?name=c_carter&count=50&f-Self-Military-RegimentNumber=T4/058509&military=1915&name_x=_1

Edited by AJC
Answered own question

3 minutes ago, AJC said:

How did you find that?
That's an amazing piece of info thank you so much

It's the Medal Roll for the 1914-15 Stars on Ancestry. Their search engine is a pain to use use, to put it mildly. You have to use their card index for military records and then search for the 1914 Roll. I then searched for 'Carter', Army Service Corps, and T4/058** (*=wildcard) in the service number.

Unfortunately I missed out the heading of the Discharge column. Class Z I think was to the Army Reserves, which is I presume what A.R. stands for.

Here's a bigger shot.

(Ancestry.co.uk)

Untitled.jpg

I'm curious about his T4/058509. The medal is clearly a 1914-15 star. But as far as I know, T4/****** numbers weren't assigned to the ASC until at least September 1916. So why wasn't an earlier number given on the 1914-15 roll?

My GGF was also in the horse transport of the ASC. His 1914-15 Roll number was T/977. He was then assigned T4/2478** in Sept 1916, which is on his  BMW medal roll.

BTW, your man's British War Medal Roll gives his first name as 'Charlie'

(Ancestry.co.uk)

Untitled2.jpg

Edit. To answer my own question about his T4 number, maybe this page on the LLT has the answer.

Edited by KernelPanic

13 minutes ago, KernelPanic said:

I'm curious about his T4/058508. The medal is clearly a 1914-15 star. But as far as I know, T4/****** numbers weren't assigned to the ASC until at least September 1916. So why wasn't an earlier number given on the 1914-15 roll?

T4 numbers existed 1915

Here are some near nuumbers for Carter showin enlistment c 31/1/15

T4 058501 Attested 2/2/15
T4 058059.......
T4 058515 Enlisted 1/2/15
T4 058521 Enlisted 1/2/15
T4 058525 Enlisted 30/1/15

5 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

T4 numbers existed 1915

Got it. Thanks. Just shows you how complicated the ASC numbering was.