Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2LT. REGINALD URSTON COOPER-SMITH 5A

bobpike

I am struggling to locate which regiment Reginald was serving with when he died.
He initially  enlisted in 5th ESSEX

Spoiler

PLEASE IGNORE THE POOR ENGLISH IN THE OPENING STATEMENY  THIS IS THE REST

OFFICERS Roll 5th BN shows transfer to Ox and Bucks Bn possibly Septrmbe1p1916.

H was killed in action on 10th Match 1817  and buried in Hem Farm Military  Cemetery. his headstone lists his regiment was Essez

but there is no mention of him in regimental history (Burrowes) nor War Diary

ThNK YOU

Previously 1999 2nd London Regt before commissioning 31/12/15

Lance Cpl, wounded per Daily List 16/11/15, 2nd London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) TF

Edited by charlie962

Second Lieutenant REGINALD BURSTON COOPER-SMITH

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/309867/reginald-burston-cooper-smith/

CWGC have = Secondary Unit, Regiment: attd. 1st/1st Bucks Bn. Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

:-) M

Officer's Service Papers at TNA  = 2/Lieutenant Reginald Burston COOPER-SMITH. The Essex Regiment.  Reference: WO 374/15437

- unfortunately not digitised so a visit by you or a researcher required  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C685570

:-) M

12 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

CWGC have = Secondary Unit, Regiment: attd. 1st/1st Bucks Bn. Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Well spotted. I'd relied on a transcript on FMP without going to actual record. Mental note made.

Thank you all for ploughing through the Gobbledegook of my original postingtt and providing me with some excellent information.

I have Parkinson's and was attempting to use the dictaphone faciliity  on my computer. It decided to download itself before I had the chancc to check it !!!!

Bob