Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool 1907 Quillon Bayonet Regiment Markings?

Fragilefox

Hi all.

Firstly welcome and thank you for allowing me on the firing step as it were.

I’m looking for help deciphering the following regimental markings on my 1907 Pattern Quillon Bayonet.

The following markings of 

R573

L L.

I was under the assumption that L L was the Liverpool Regiment but am now of the belief that that’s L.l 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards 9C23541B-75B8-4C60-88BC-6B1893AC9DAF.jpeg.6447ac7002c9e4f08a0302f22102d5ad.jpeg

Welcome to the forum fragilefox,

I would say Liverpool, instructions for armourers 1912 (reprinted 1916) has it as two capital L’s, but the second one smaller…..there’s a simplified copy here that someone kindly added to the forum…..

Dave.

7 minutes ago, Fragilefox said:

Many Thanks Dave.

Appreciated. Many thanks for the info. 

Regards 

Phil

Great bayonet to find Phil,

always good to see something new.

Dave.

3 hours ago, Pete_C said:

The ‘R’ prefix denotes issue to a Reservist.

Pete

Is there a source for this/support etc?

Seems unusual to stamp a rifle to an individual soldier -- a unit yes (so a Reserve unit) but a reservist (soldier) would seem odd to me

While bayonets are often numbered to rifles and rifles issued to soldiers that seems to be slightly different.

Just looking for support for this assertion not challenging it (as I have a couple of R marked bayonets)

Chris

Unless I’m mistaken the bayonet number would match the armourers number to a rack. Thus matching bayonet to rifle.

The rifles would have been issued to Reservist Battalions as to Regulars thus the R.

Photos of the blade markings. 
Again, unless I’m mistaken,  I think this may have gone ‘overseas’ 

Regards 6B572FE0-BDFD-43D9-908C-25E983A03532.jpeg.35bae6e7cdbd58b8436ba0f35b6b77d4.jpegB41B6D86-8264-4DB9-8306-6AD7AB16D0CE.jpeg.f4ce350f6776874aad4a04da6d6a1e43.jpeg

4 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Is there a source for this/support etc?

Seems unusual to stamp a rifle to an individual soldier -- a unit yes (so a Reserve unit) but a reservist (soldier) would seem odd to me

While bayonets are often numbered to rifles and rifles issued to soldiers that seems to be slightly different.

Just looking for support for this assertion not challenging it (as I have a couple of R marked bayonets)

Chris

Chris, from an old Joe Sweeney post about this JAC Black Watch bayonet.

Instructions for Armourers, 1912.

App. IX-para V. Arms held for Mobilization (For Infantry and A.O.C. Reservists)---Will be marked with Corps marks and consecutive numbers, the latter being preceded by the letter R.

As Phil says, indicates issue to a member of a Reserve Battalion rather than denoting the soldier’s status as a ‘Reservist’.

Cheers,

Pete

98F3AA29-ACA2-473F-B924-334888AAF5CC.jpeg

Thanks for the clarification.

Chris