Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W Hill 22908 Ox and Bucks 39339 Royal Berkshire Regiment Died of wounds 18th August 1918

Robuk88

Thank you for anyone reading this. I've been doing some research into William Hill and i know he died while serving with the 5th battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment. Does anyone know what battalion he service with when he was in the Ox and Bucks? Thank you in advance.

Rob

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

Available on Ancestry, as well as the medal roll, is a surviving service record for a man with a close OBLI number who was also posted to Berks and has a close Berks number. So I suggest similar dates for Hill.

Courtesy FindmyPast- The man goes to France with OBLI but almost immediately trf'd to 5th Berks

2035551911_GWFHillWOBLInearnumber.JPG.27ae39b3183c2cf83c1664b7fa04356a.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Note that the above similar man was in UK with the 3rd Bn OBLI   having been mobilized 30/3/16 (when his OBLI number was issued) and it was only when landing in France 17/7/16 that he was posted to 2nd OBLI, then almost immediately (22/7) attached to 5th Berks before a permanent transfer 1/9/16. So to all intents his active service in France was with 5th Berks.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

• 1 month later...
On 22/10/2021 at 13:00, charlie962 said:

Note that the above similar man was in UK with the 3rd Bn OBLI   having been mobilized 30/3/16 (when his OBLI number was issued) and it was only when landing in France 17/7/16 that he was posted to 2nd OBLI, then almost immediately (22/7) attached to 5th Berks before a permanent transfer 1/9/16. So to all intents his active service in France was with 5th Berks.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie. Once again sorry for the delay in responding. I honestly do appreciate your help.

Rob

On 22/10/2021 at 14:46, Mark1959 said:

Hi Mark,

I didn’t even know you could access things in probate. I’ll take notes going forward. Thank you very much.

Rob

22908 Private William HILL

Born 1895 Chalfont St Peter, Bucks

18 Aug 1918       Died of wounds, age 23

Enlisted as Pte into O&BLI; with 2nd Bn; France & Flanders; transferred. as 39339 Pte, to 5th Bn, R.Berks Regt; F & F; M: War & Vict. Buried Daours Comm Cem Ext, Somme, France - Plot IV, Row C, Grave 32.

Son of Henry & Louisa Hill of Taylors Green, Chalfont St Peter, Gerrards Cross, Bucks."     

Your medals were donated to the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum and they were part of the sell off through DNW.