Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Requesting Help in Researching a South African Soldier

gordon92

Picked up the Balmoral bonnet pictured below badged to an officer or SNCO of the 4th South African Infantry (S. African Scottish) backed by the proper Murray of Atholl tartan patch.  Everything about this bonnet tells me it is a period item especially the Anderson & Sons label.  This style label was used during and before Great War while post war Anderson labels included the phrase "By appointment to HM KGV."  The label reads "F. Crawford" or possibly "E. Crawford" along with what appears to be "B Comd." I have run into a stone wall in researching this man.  I find nothing in the South Africa Military Index on Ancestry. Same result from Forces War Records. 

Can anyone help or provide guidance on where else to look?

This style bonnet was worn by the 4th SAI and it's antecedent regiment the Transvaal Scottish.  However, I am open to the possibility that the badge is a replacement.  Have searched for possible Crawfords among British units who would have worn this pattern bonnet, Scottish Horse and 6th Battalion HLI, with no results.  Search of Canadian records came up empty.  Would be grateful for any help in researching S. African soldiers.

20211021_143001.jpg.5d22279210391c831a5ef1943ff0eb87.jpg20211021_143318.jpg.4a237688cc93e8efedbf8c4d7be2cc6e.jpg

Edited by gordon92

1 hour ago, gordon92 said:

The label reads "F. Crawford" or possibly "E. Crawford" along with what appears to be "B Comd.

Perhaps B Comp(any) ,  and above the name, might it read 2/Lt ?

In South Africa there is "Rhino Research", who undertake professional research in the archives. You may want to contact them, to ask if they can do some research for you, for a fee.

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Perhaps B Comp(any) ,  and above the name, might it read 2/Lt ?

I think you are right about B Company, charlie.  The 2/Lt might be a stretch.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Keith_history_buff said:

In South Africa there is "Rhino Research", who undertake professional research in the archives. You may want to contact them, to ask if they can do some research for you, for a fee.

Keith, appreciate this lead, but I am having trouble finding Rhino Research on Google.  Do you have a link?

Mike,     EXTREMELY short article on google says B CO drawn from volunteers from Scottish units in the Transvaal, mainly 1/Transvaal Scottish.  Only link reference is to the LLT of all places.  Also tried to see what was available at Nat'l Archive but looks like a zero.

Edited by bif

I've sent a PM with the Rhino Research e-mail address, given that putting e-mails on forums tends to lead to that individual getting an increase in spam.

The problem is that the label is "impossible" to decipher

It probably does say F Crawford

The top line is S/...

and the bottom line looks more like "Comd" then "Comp"

You could try UV light to see if that can pick up any more

beret.jpg.a0c7bdcbd84438b4152f24d1fdbf7d3a.jpg

15 hours ago, bif said:

Mike,     EXTREMELY short article on google says B CO drawn from volunteers from Scottish units in the Transvaal, mainly 1/Transvaal Scottish.  Only link reference is to the LLT of all places.  Also tried to see what was available at Nat'l Archive but looks like a zero.

Appreciate this, bif.

13 hours ago, MaureenE said:

See the previous post

Chris_Baker. South African Service papers WW1 Great War Forum 27 July 2018. Earlier posts mention a researcher.

Edited:

Summary of the Commonwealth Scottish Regiments by Kim Stacy, c 2001. Information by the Scottish Military Historical Society, now an archived webpage.

Thanks for this, Maureen. I do see the researcher mentioned. Chris waited a whole year for a response from SA DoD... daunting.

11 hours ago, alf mcm said:

There are some war diaries at TNA, They can de downloaded.  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_col=200&_p=1900&_hb=tna&_q=WO+95%2F+"4+SOUTH+AFRICAN+INFANTRY"

Regards,

Alf McM

Will check these out, alf. Much obliged.

7 hours ago, corisande said:

The problem is that the label is "impossible" to decipher

It probably does say F Crawford

The top line is S/...

and the bottom line looks more like "Comd" then "Comp"

You could try UV light to see if that can pick up any more

beret.jpg.a0c7bdcbd84438b4152f24d1fdbf7d3a.jpg

Good tip on the UV, corisande. Will give it a try.