Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I.T.C. Squad Military Foot Police

mhifle

Hi

This is from the Service Record for P3294 Lance Corporal Edwin Charles Denley, Military Foot Police (WO363-4_007291667_00782)

I was wondering what the comment 'I.T.C. Squad' would stand for?

Regards

Mark646348304_ITCSquad.jpg.24baf3c52e66dbc7ce540e248f011cd8.jpg

Edited by mhifle

5 minutes ago, mhifle said:

Hi

This is from the Service Record for P3294 Lance Corporal Edwin Charles Denley, Military Foot Police (WO363-4_007291667_00782)

I was wondering what the comment 'I.T.C. Squad' would stand for?

Regards

Mark646348304_ITCSquad.jpg.24baf3c52e66dbc7ce540e248f011cd8.jpg

I’m not 100% positive but a common usage for that abbreviation relates to Infantry Training Centre.  Wimbledon had originally been a focus for musketry before it moved instead to Bisley.

His appointment to No.1 I T C took place "in the Field", therefore presumably in France and not at Wimbledon. My interpretation of I T C would be Infantry Training Camp, of which there were several in France - mostly at Etaples.

Ron

Thanks

The 'P.M.' in line above would be for Provost Marshal 1st Army? On his discharge sheet it has his unit as '1st Army HQ'

Mark

50 minutes ago, mhifle said:

Thanks

The 'P.M.' in line above would be for Provost Marshal 1st Army? On his discharge sheet it has his unit as '1st Army HQ'

Mark

Yes, Provost Marshal was the superior officer in each Army.  Deputy at Division and Assistant at Brigade.

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

His appointment to No.1 I T C took place "in the Field", therefore presumably in France and not at Wimbledon. My interpretation of I T C would be Infantry Training Camp, of which there were several in France - mostly at Etaples.

Ron

Thanks Ron, that makes better sense I think.  Wimbledon was a demobilisation centre at the end of the war anyway.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I think it is actually ‘No.1 Traffic Control Squadron’ which was with the  First Army at this time 

Regards 

Mark

11 hours ago, mhifle said:

I think it is actually ‘No.1 Traffic Control Squadron’ which was with the  First Army at this time 

Regards 

Mark

That certainly seems possible Mark given that all the other figures 1 are shown as a simple vertical upstroke without serif.  Traffic Control was indeed a specified role of detachments of Military Police so it does seem as if you’ve solved your own query.