Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps 8th Field Bakery Gordon Highlanders B.E.F

David ANDERSON

1714581548_fieldbakerywwi.jpg.809f976491480248db1dfe1e8fc13758.jpg

I come from a family of bakers who ran their own Bakery in Glasgow's Gorbals (D.C. McKays 294 South York Street, later Moffat Street.) Several members served in The Great War and the above photo contains Private Roderick McKAY seated bottom row right. His regimental number I believe is S (or 5)43945. I would welcome any information regarding Field Bakeries in general and his in particular. The McKay family had shares in Third Lanark Football Club which is no indication of Roderick's prowess on the pitch but perhaps is an indication of his enthusiasm for the game! In browsing this site I did get a hit involving this Field Bakery, which I will now have to find again! Any information to assist me or further non connected but relevant info would be welcome. Just hope that this message goes out there for everyone's information and response. Regard from a GWF novice.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum, I found these two old threads, which might assist?

Welcome to the forum, David.

The thread you referred to is here

The Medal Roll shows he first went overseas with 8th Field Bakery ASC on 12/10/1914 with number SS/1309

The British War Medal/Victory Medal Roll on Ancestry lists his subsequent movements in order, but no dates:

813647624_GWFMcKayRFieldBakeryBWMVMRoll.JPG.52fcf535122923e33f6615d16b8ad805.JPG

This extract for another soldier with a close Gordons number shows a similar pattern of postings- Starting with a Field Bakery (changing bakery units  several times) he then gets the following postings:

545250205_GWFMcKayRFieldBakerynearnumber.JPG.4116eba4b97c735f28fbaff0d193325e.JPGextract courtesy FindmyPast S/43957 Maine

I know it is not exactly the same units but it demonstrates what was happening and likely transfer dates.

EDIT--

I note also that this other man is shown as a Baker for 3 years then infantryman after c April 1918. It is possible that he was regraded to replace the infantry losses after the German offensive ?- needs further comment.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Medal Index Card 

Qualifying date 12-10-14

Medal Roll for 1914 Star - 8th F. Bly ASC S/1309

FFC14C39-498E-40D4-9D56-CC11F72E1A06.jpeg

5F17FEED-5ECE-427F-9EC7-2E6F3448B7AC.jpeg

Edited by BarbaraG

• Admin
1 hour ago, David ANDERSON said:

His regimental number I believe is S (or 5)43945.

The ASC employed prefixes to numbers the prefix 'SS' denotes 'Supply Specials' or Special Enlistments e.g. bakers, butchers and other trades.  They were enlisted at Apecial Rates of Pay and received little or no military training with pack and rifle but were tested as to their skill and given a short introduction to 'the Army Way'.

The LLT tells us the 1/7th Battalion amalgamated with the 1/6th to form the 6/7th Bn. on the 6 October 1918

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/gordon-highlanders/

Hi Folks

I am really impressed by the quick response to my post. I am still not sure how to reply to each response, but if I can say that collectively the information provided has increased my understanding of Roderick's wartime experiences. Thanks to everyone who replied. There are other Great War veterans and sadly some casualties in my tree,  that I look forward to researching on this very helpful site.