Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Verdun: Auftragstaktik went wrong?

Brusilov

Hi all!

I have just finished reading German Strategy and the Path to Verdun. Very well researched book with many valuable information.

Under the guidance of past posts of Paul Hederer, I came to understand better the plan, objectives and intention of Falkenhayn and the execution of the 5th Army.

In short, Falkenhayn had never intended this battle to be a breakthrough, and the occupation of the Verdun fortress was not the main objective of the battle. He simply wished to occupy the high grounds of Meuses and from there utilizing artillery to maul down the French when they tried to counterattack. It was intended to be in line with Ermattungsstrategie, to wear down the enemy and made the French suffer so horrendously that they needed to sign a peace treaty.

Von Knobelsdorf, the Chief of Staff of the 5th Army, however, envisaged the goal of the battle much differently. As Foley pointed out, he wanted the army to take Verdun in shortest amount of time. He also wished to achieve local objectives regardless of casualties. While superficially this was in line with his superior's vision, in details this led to a serious diversion from Falkenhayn's intention.

My question is was this a case of Auftragstaktik going wrong? Was it because the commanders of the Army was given much more freedom to execute the missions of their superiors?

I have thought of a counter-question to this, and I believe that had Falkenhayn dictate how the battle had been fought up till April, he would limit the loss of the German 5th Army.

Sure, there were many other factors of contributing to the continuation of this failed offensive, like the pressure from the Kaiser and the question of reputation of Germany, or the continued influence of Knobelsdorf on Falkenhayn. But I think had Falkenhayn been able to dictate in a more direct manner how this battle should be fought, it would stop at the right moment.

Edited by Brusilov

21 hours ago, Brusilov said:

, I came to understand better the plan, objectives and intention of Falkenhayn

Then you're set above most of us, my dear pal !

Falkenhayn must be one of the most enigmatic characters in military history.

He was also so secretive as to be almost paranoiac.

Phil

1 hour ago, phil andrade said:

Then you're set above most of us, my dear pal !

Falkenhayn must be one of the most enigmatic characters in military history.

He was also so secretive as to be almost paranoiac.

Phil

I am certainly not an expert. I have bought a biography of him by Zwehl.

Paul Hederer said he was not as enigmatic after you have read Foley, Zwehl and Afflerbach. 

Foley did go at great length to explain many things about his thinking.

You could not blame him for being so secretive, because Ludendorff, Hindenburg and other general staffs disliked him and viewed him as a skipper who got promoted over them. Even German officers who later wrote the official history of German in the Great War disliked him.

He was the scapegoat for German defeats.