Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what was here? (Poperinghe)

Arne Vandendriessche

Hi,

I have 2 locations in the village of Proven that I would like some more information about. Can someone help me? The first location is at 27.F.1.c.80.18 there are two large barns but I don't know what they were used for. Maybe something for storage or repair of military equipment? The second location is on 27.F.7.d.50.97 there are about ten small barracks close together. What were these used for?

Arne

Schermafbeelding 2021-10-19 204833.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2021-10-19 204805.jpg

The second one - F.7.d was being used late August 1917 by 20th Division as a camp & training ground for troops out of the line.

I suspect it was a camp & training ground for many different units all continuously rotating.

TEW

Hello Arne

I have a map of a camp at Proven where the 60th Brigade were in July 1917, it is map 27 square F, if you want a copy send me a PM with your e-mail address.  The area is not named but numbered B1, B2, B3 and B4 Camps.

Regards

John

1 hour ago, John Milner said:

Hello Arne

I have a map of a camp at Proven where the 60th Brigade were in July 1917, it is map 27 square F, if you want a copy send me a PM with your e-mail address.  The area is not named but numbered B1, B2, B3 and B4 Camps.

Regards

John

I suspect that the B referred to Brigade and that each of the numbers related to a Battalion.  Thus a square brigade could be accommodated there on a roulement basis.

The WD of 14 Corps A&QMG (WO 95/914/4) has a List of Units Administered dated 11/08/1917. At F 7 b 1 4 and F 1 b 2 7 there were Motor Transport Units. At F 7 b 3 2 was 135 Army Troops Co Royal Engineers and at F 1 d 8 6 was 18 Labour Group with 45 and part of 47 Chinese Labour Cos.

There is also a list of Billets dated 08/08/1917 at camps in Staging Areas nos 1 & 2 and in Proven Town, Proven Areas 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and Proven Area (un numbered). I have selected those from F 1 and F 7. Camps in Proven Areas all begin with the letter P.

Proven Town - Central - F 7 b 5 1 and Northern - F 7 a 5 8 - which housed Div HQs.

Portsea Camp in Proven Area 3 at F 1 b 4 2 which housed a Field Ambulance and Pheasant Camp in Proven Area (un numbered) at F 7 c 4 5 which housed a Pioneer Bn.

Brian

• Admin
On 19/10/2021 at 19:50, Arne Vandendriessche said:

I have 2 locations in the village of Proven that I would like some more information about.

Here is a link to an overall map of the Proven ans Abeele area. Some of these rectangle clusters are marked as hospitals others not. Regards, Bob. http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A70089

• 1 year later...