Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals for sale

temptage

For those of you who may be interested there is a couple of medals for sale at a Grimsby auction house.

Link -> here

246405076_4404863726259648_3039694412211723903_n.jpg.3b36f20ed6f568d76721d4d8178b2c7f.jpg

I have private messaged them and found out details of who the medals were awarded to.

One was awarded to 42509 Private Smith Clarkson of the 1st Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment, who was killed on 15/08/1918 and is buried in Serre Road Cemetery No.1.

The second was awarded to 56755 Gunner Harold P Bunce of the RGA, who it turns out never served overseas.

6 minutes ago, temptage said:

The second was awarded to 56755 Gunner Harold P Bunce of the RGA, who it turns out never served overseas.

Think he probably did serve overseas!

Thanks for sharing the collection though.

TEW

He served out of UK if he rec'd the Victory medal & also the silver War medal.

My apologies. I found a record for another H Bunce and wrongly presumed it was also his. Thanks for putting it right. 

RNCVR<

Where is the SWB on the original photo? Although I'm viewing on a reasonable sized screen  I confess that I lost my specs today .

Simon

Simon,

There does not appear to be a SWB among those badges & Victory medals. It seems to be a collection of cap badges & misc badges I am certain Forum members could ID.

I do recognize  Royal Army Service Corps & Royal Engineers cap badges.

RNCVR,

I think I misunderstood your post.

apologies

Simon

4 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Simon,

There does not appear to be a SWB among those badges & Victory medals. It seems to be a collection of cap badges & misc badges I am certain Forum members could ID.

I do recognize  Royal Army Service Corps & Royal Engineers cap badges.

Well, I can do the easy Forum-related ones: cap badges of Royal Warwicks, Wiltshires, Leicesters (behind a ribbon), Highland Light Infantry, Suffolks. Also badges of rank (hope that's the correct terminology for officers?): a couple each of Major's crowns, I think, and 'pips'. 

2 hours ago, mancpal said:

RNCVR,

I think I misunderstood your post.

apologies

Simon

No apology required Simon! 

Best wishes,

Bryan

I confused entitlement for the recipient with the items shown in the photo (I think). Got new glasses though they haven't made a great deal of difference to my IQ it seems.

Simon