Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/1st Wessex Field Ambulance WW1 Diary

6th Dorsets

Could I please ask for the Group's help. My Great Uncle George Godrey Pike joined the 2/1st Wessex Field Ambulance, Army No 2169, in November 1914 and was wounded south of Bonfay Farm, West Perone on 23 October 1916. He had a shrapnel wound to the leg, but I believe he stayed in France for the duration of the war. Unfortunately, his service and pension records are lost, so I want to try and get access to the Regimental Diary. I have tried the Naval and Military Archive but I cannot ‘get into it’ because I have not been able to ascertain the relevant Division or Battalion etc.  I have tried to research this but to no avail. I wondered if someone would be kind enough to advise me on the key inputs to access the 2/1st Wessex Field Ambulance diary. Many thanks, Jon Gliddon

If you register with TNA you can download the diary for free. There is only one diary which is 135Mb so it will be split into ~5 separate files.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354872

There is a small tick box that needs ticking to agree to the terms and conditions before downloading.

TEW

I assume you have something to tie him to 2/1 Wessex FA?

He is on a Daily Casualty List dated 21/10/1916, normally that would mean a wound event late Sept 1916.

A wound 23/10/1916 doesn't tie up with the Daily List, where does your date come from?

TEW

This is very interesting because the 23 Oct 1916 date I got from his Granddaughter, however, from the diary of that date they were near Ypres! From the diary he is listed as wounded on 3 August 1916 and is mentioned ..... 'and No 2169 Pte Pike wounded'. This is on page 31 of the first file. This also states .... 'S of Bronfay Farm', so that ties in with the family info. Could the Casualty List dated 20/10/1916 refer to a wound 2.5 months earlier?  Does the CL have any details of his wound? I believe he had a shrapnel in one of his legs. Thanks very much for your help in this. Jon

23/10/16 could be a date that ties in with another part of his medical evacuation perhaps even back to the UK.

No details are given in the Casualty Lists which were printed in The Times for this period, there's only him and 2127 Shattock from RAMC in that list.

Is Shattock mentioned in the diary?

Any mention of Pike's return?

It's normally stated that 3-4 weeks is the normal delay from being wounded to the Daily List date but you can find two weeks or sometimes months (admin problems).

Not seeing a second Daily List for him so I'd have to go with wounded 3/8/16 and published 21/10/16 and accept that delay.

From memory, Bronfay Farm had been used as a ADS or MDS around this period, perhaps his unit was manning a dressing station?

Sounds like the FA diary is well kept and has detail. There is an ADMS diary as well which might give an overview of all three FAs of 55 Division. It's only 22Mb for all of 1916 but may have maps and/or appendices.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14055935

TEW

I have spent some time going through the diary and I can find no mention of 2127 Pte Shattock C M being wounded. He is however listed as wounded in The Story of the 2/1st Wessex Field Ambulance 1914-1918, as is my Great Uncle. I have gone through to May 1917 and can find no mention of 2169 Pike returning. In fact I have seen no mention of any ORs returning, only officers. 

Thanks for the information on the ADMS diary. That'll be todays job.

Jon