Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Burial Personal Items

Saddler

I am researching an unknown NZ officer, and on the concentration reports a "photo of a lady" was found with the body. Does anyone know what happened to personal items after reburial? My unknown has a written request by him to inform a lady friend in England in event of his death, it may help with an id, but I am wondering if items  were stored or reburied.

20 minutes ago, Saddler said:

I am researching an unknown NZ officer, and on the concentration reports a "photo of a lady" was found with the body. Does anyone know what happened to personal items after reburial? My unknown has a written request by him to inform a lady friend in England in event of his death, it may help with an id, but I am wondering if items  were stored or reburied.

I would suggest that you contact the CWGC on this as they would be the only ones in my view, that could give a correct and informative answer 

when you have your answer, we be nice to see the reply as I’ve always wonder about this, what happened to items after they were sent to ‘BASE’ 

especially who much money was retrieved off the dead and how was it spent

• 9 months later...
21 minutes ago, Cheshire22 said:

Did you ever write to the CWGC and what was there reply

The CWGC wasn't involved in this. It was the Army (and still is) that takes care of the actual body and items. The CWGC just cares for the cemeteries.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Saddler,

Up until around 1921 my understanding is that NZEF had carriage. After WW1 the IWGC employed a Western Front staff on behalf of member nations to maintain cemeteries. They also undertook burials when men were found. I'm not sure exactly when NZEF graves unit/s departed the Western Front. After 1921 the IWGC oversaw most recovery work and the relevant military remained responsible for confirming identification (the case for Australian casualties). 

For identified casualties, personal effects were usually offered to family through the relevant military authorities. Military artefacts usually remain the property of the military and, if of no military or evidentiary value, they might be destroyed. In a case where a personal artefact might inform identification it was usually retained, either by the military or IWGC (I understand the British Army's Directorate of Graves Registration & Enquiries had an 'Effects Branch') with the military authority taking up the ID effort in the home country (Eg. NZ, Australia and Canada). I'm advised most of the original IWGC investigation case files no longer exist, but I'd be surprised if the photo (or copy) and details were not sent to the NZ Army. You'd need to query the NZDF as to whether they have any information that might assist. 

CWGC can probably give you a summary of the usual course of affairs concerning IWGC processes and let you know whether they have any material relevant to the grave you are looking at, however the NZDF and Veterans Affairs are responsible for NZEF identification matters. Have sent you a PM and can connect you with the relevant section of NZDF. 

EDIT: Never mind, I see you're already on the case in another thread. 

Tim

Edited by Blackblue