Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMLI man at Treaty of Versailles

domwalsh

Evening all.

I was researching ADM 159 records of service and had to do a double take when I downloaded the following NCO:

PLY.11496 Cpl George  Henry LOCKER RMLI

In the notes at the bottom, it reads:

"Witnessed signing of Peace Treaty of Versailles on behalf of the Royal Marines 1919"

I've never seen that, and was suprised a corporal would be there rather than a high-ranking officer.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this? Does a list of those who attended exist?

Cheers.

Dom

Edited by domwalsh
Spelling

UPDATE: have just checked Blumberg's Britain's Sea Soldiers and it notes two marines witnessed the historic signing:

Act Sgt WH Beirne, Chatham RMLI

Act Sgt GH Locker, Plymouth RMLL

Ah yes, thanks. Blumberg spells him as Beirne and I briefly confused him with W.J. Beirne.

Fascinating that two NCOs should have been there.

Would be keen to find out more about the duo.

D

The 1919 "Globe and Laurel" P.126 "Plymouth Notes" states:-

"Signing of Peace - Sgt Locker, of this Division, was selected by Admiral Wemyss for the distinguished honour of being the official representative of the Corps at the Signing of the Peace Treaty in the Hall of Mirrors, Paris, 28th June, 1919."

There is no similar entry for Bearne in the "Chatham Notes". Wemyss, 1st Sea Lord, had been the senior British representative at the signing of the Armistice and was the British naval representative at the Peace Conference.

So Sgt Locker has the unique distinction of having the following notations on his record of service:

"Witnessed the signing of Peace Treaty of Versailles on behalf of the Royal Marines 1919"

"Participated in ballot for the award of the VC granted for operations against Zeebrugge and Ostend 22-23 April 1918 (London Gazette 28/7/1918) " 

Edited by domwalsh
Spelling

52 minutes ago, domwalsh said:

So Sgt Locker has the unique distinction of having the following notations on his record of service:

I’m guessing that it’s possible that his participation in the Zeebrugge Raid was a reason for him being selected to witness the signing?
Any other clues on his ADM 159? Service at Jutland, Gallipoli, Western Front……

58 DM.

15 minutes ago, 58 Div Mule said:

I’m guessing that it’s possible that his participation in the Zeebrugge Raid was a reason for him being selected to witness the signing?

Unlikely. Locker was but one of the entire 4th RM Bn. to participate in the battle and subsequent ballot and he won no recognition for his performance at Zeebrugge. Most of his war (apart from 18 months in HMS BERWICK) was spent at HQ Plymouth Division RMLI. He was noted, however, as a corporal of Superior ability and VG character. He was only promoted to acting sergeant when he was drafted to HMS BENBOW on 21 October 1919, four months after his attendance at Versailles.

Corporal Bearne's service was similarly unremarkable (he too was assessed as VG/Superior) but he spent most of his war in HMS THESEUS and was not at Zeebrugge. He was not promoted to acting sergeant until September 1921.

It remains somewhat of a mystery as to why such junior, and not obviously outstanding men were selected out of all the men in their two RMLI barracks.

As a postscript  I have just found a photo of Locker holding a young boy on a genealogical website and have now made contact with that boy, who is Locker"s son. 

So that's one more ticked off on my campaign to get a photo of all c.700 members of the 4th Battalion Royal Marines who served at Zeebrugge!

Any more photos out there? Also, am happy to do look-ups on any Zeebrugge men to see if I have a photo or info.

Cheers

Dom

Couldn’t resist downloading their ADM159’s (currently free from the NA).

Couple of observations.

Bearne spent a lot of time in the Officers Mess at Chatham. His ADM notes ‘Billiard Marker, Officers Mess’, ‘Waiter, Officers Mess’ and what looks like ‘Porter, Officers Mess’.

Locker was wounded at Zeebrugge.

They were of ‘Superior Ability’ (as noted by Horatio).

Also a matched pair, both 5ft 8ins or thereabouts.

58 DM.

Could it be that apart from the honour of being present to witness the signing, the two RMLI corporals also had a role to play as bodyguards, protecting senior British officers and dignitaries in case anything untoward occurred during this historic occasion?

MB

It could be but probably was not, if this extract from The New York Times is correct - https://www.ctevans.net/Versailles/Newspapers/How the Treaty Was Signed.pdf

"Three detachments each consisting of fifteen private soldiers from the American, British, and French forces -entered just before 3 o'clock and took
their places in the embrasures of the windows overlooking the chateau park, a few feet from Marshal Foch, who was seated with the French delegation at the
peace table. Marshal Foch was present only as a spectator, and did not participate in the signing. These forty-five soldiers of the three main belligerent
nations were present as the real "artisans of peace" and stood within the inclosure reserved for plenipotentiaries and high officials of the conference as a
visible sign of their ro1e in bringing into being a new Europe. These men had been selected from those who bore honorable wounds."

It would appear that there was a purely ceremonial/witnessing role for fifteen UK other ranks/ratings, so perhaps five RN/RM in total, all recommended to and selected (like  Cpl Locker RMLI) by the First Sea Lord.

Thanks for the additional information concerning the 15 British soldiers (part of the:larger party of 45 Allied soldiers).
As previously mentioned, it appears that the two marines were men of superior character and they may well have been selected over other possible candidates because of that, and (I’m assuming) because they were also soldiers of excellent bearing and appearance, and knew how to mind their P’s & Q’s.

MB

Cpl BEARNE had also held the LS & GC Medal since 1916.

Cpl LOCKER, however, had been reduced in rank from Cpl to Pte in 1911 amd lost his VG Character - down to Good at the end of that year. In 1919 he required another eight years of VG Character to qualify LS & GC but was discharged invalided in 1921six years before he made it.

Hmm. Not especially brilliant. Not like the men who accompanied the Unknown Warrior, who were all VCs and CGM holders from memory

My gut feeling is that they were known for their turnout and bearing.

And, as KizmeRD says, could mind their P’s and Q’s and rub shoulders with senior ranks.

58 DM.