Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo from Ireland pre 1923 - Is this a uniform?

Anthony466

hi,

This is Bernard Flynn, half brother to the seven Flynn brothers, Connaught Rangers from Ballina, Co. Mayo, who fought and survived WW1. Bernard was born 1903 and died 1923, so perhaps did not serve in WW1. Anyone have an idea of what this "uniform" is?  

There is a medal card for a Bernard Flynn 32172 Connaught Ranger, but not sure if this could be him. 

thanks

anthony

Bernard Photo Front.jpeg

WO-372-7-98636.pdf

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The  cap badge would fit with the Connaught Rangers.

What does @FROGSMILE think?

Yes Dai, it’s definitely the Connaught Rangers.  He’s dressed for walking out of barracks with swagger stick and 08 pattern web belt.

5FA83B63-0C02-4C06-90A8-620301028298.jpeg

B53BB667-368B-4B5A-BEC2-B33D83A7A85F.jpeg

48523448-3404-4A57-B315-3DE3D8CA6151.jpeg

FFBF8D00-9730-4973-BF5E-44D1E6E8DB69.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

All his service was post armistice - that shows he served from 14 April 19 to 15 Aug 19. He was discharged due to accidental wounding.

Craig

Thank you all very much. We always wondered whether he followed his seven half-brothers into the Army and now we have the confirmation, albeit a brief experience. unfortunately died a few years later of TB as so many did in those years.

I am researching another brother Francis Flynn who shows in this family on both 1901 and 1911 census, but I have zero on his life and death. 

thanks once again,

anthony

20 minutes ago, Anthony466 said:

I am researching another brother Francis Flynn who shows in this family on both 1901 and 1911 census, but I have zero on his life and death. 

If you think he may have served then open another thread for him.

Craig

Just for info, Bernard actually got shot in the leg in 1916 whilst stealing apples in Ballina, but apparently not that serious a wound to stop him enrolling 3 years later. My mother told me the story and I found this in the newspaper archives. Could this wound potentially have emerged as aproblem during military life?

anthony

Beranrd Flynn orchard shooting 1916.pdf

1 hour ago, Anthony466 said:

Just for info, Bernard actually got shot in the leg in 1916 whilst stealing apples in Ballina, but apparently not that serious a wound to stop him enrolling 3 years later. My mother told me the story and I found this in the newspaper archives. Could this wound potentially have emerged as aproblem during military life?

anthony

Beranrd Flynn orchard shooting 1916.pdf 791.41 kB · 2 downloads

It sounds like birdshot, which at short range, as in this case can do more damage to tissue than is sometimes realised.  As for future effects, in part it depends if all the shot was successfully removed and what damage was done to muscle fibre.  If the latter was damaged, as seems likely from the newspaper report, then he would probably have suffered from a stiffened gait that might have been exacerbated as an infantryman expected to keep pace in marching order.

Edited by FROGSMILE