Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shortened Gras bayonet

MikeyH

Acquired for a modest sum, this March 1880 St. Etienne example has had the blade cut down to 12-1/2"/318 mm.

The blade was heavily corroded, but has cleaned up reasonably well, with some residual pitting marks.  Fighting knife

conversions are usually shorter, and those in often encountered postwar fireside companion sets, have the blades

at around normal length with a rounded tip for use as a poker. The tip on this one is heavily marked, some of which look a little like hammer blows.

The curious suede hand stitched sheath has been with the bayonet for many years, well worn, with the tip having worn a hole

to one side.  Any suggestions as to it's usage?

Mike.

SAM_2589.JPG

SAM_2593.JPG

SAM_2594.JPG

Edited by MikeyH

Derek,

Meant to include that in my now edited post. I had thought of that.

Mike.

Looks like polished pommel, the blade is with not real tip ended, so this add as a war period shortage would be probably strong, anyway germans used ASG88/98 in 310mm blade lenght, about the handle it looks like nor reworked for using with german rifle, serial number speaks it was with a conversion Chassepot M66-74 probably. 

Mike,

Don't the Gras bayonets usually have the Maker/date of manufacture engraved on spine?

Regards,

JMB

EDIT: I have assumed engraving; was it actually a stamping?

EDIT: Mars 1880, St. Etienne !!!

Edited by JMB1943
Add info.

I can find no evidence of use as a poker, would have expected heavy blackening to tip.  Maybe scorch marks to sheath....

JMB, yes the usual nice markings to the spine, am unsure if engraved or stamped.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Dear friends, 

The leather sheath indicates that is a post war convertion (shortage) for garden use mayebe??? 

Mike,

Somebody had asked the "engraved or stamped" question regarding Gras & Chassepot bayonets, on another forum.

The answer was that a "rolling stamp" was used; however, I do not quite understand how a stamp can roll to strike an 85 mm inscription on a Gras spine.

Perhaps Google is my friend.

Regards,

JMB

It should be done so,large tubus with positive inscription by pressing would cause a negative inscription on the subject,similar way are done crest on receiver of gun.