Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification.

Roger McCluskey

I wondered if anyone can identify the regiment he would have belonged to from this uniform? The image is of my Grandfather and he was born and lived in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Grandfather_George_McCluskey_photo.jpg

The crossed Rifle and Pickaxe on his collar indicate he served in a Pioneer Battalion, but I am uncertain about the headdress.

It’s hard to tell but it looks like a bigger badge possibly HLI or Cameronians but no doubt someone will be along soon.  Pioneer collar badge.  Was he injured? 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

Are you able to get a clearer photo please and what was his name, other details please. 

26 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

It’s hard to tell but it looks like a bigger badge possibly HLI or Cameronians but no doubt someone will be along soon.  Pioneer collar badge.  Was he injured? 

Not as far as I know.

15 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Are you able to get a clearer photo please and what was his name, other details please. 

His name was George McCluskey, unfortunately that is the only image I have of him in uniform.

The 1/8th Royal Scots joined as Divisional Pioneer Bn 19 August 1915 as listed on the Long Long Trail website, so a distinct possibility

Royal Scots Lothian Regt good option plus badge could be that one above.  Ancestry has several George McCluskey’s a Royal Scots, HLI, Cameronian and Seaforth. Have not looked at linking to census info yet. Reason for injury query was his hand looks like it has been injured or maybe arthritic?  

Edited by Alisonmallen62

The badge is blurred, but it does look like it might be 1/8th Royal Scots TF.  From the longlongtrail:

“1/8th Battalion
August 1914 : in Haddington. Part of Lothian Brigade, Scottish Coast Defences.
Proceeded to France, landing Le Havre 5 November 1914.
11 November 1914 : attached to 22nd Brigade, 7th Division.
19 August 1915 : transferred to 51st (Highland) Division as Pioneer Battalion.”

Another possibility might be the 16th (Service) Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry, who were similarly converted to Divisional pioneers.

NB.  The bonnet is I think the early balmoral, a reversible type.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Roger McCluskey said:

Pretty sure this badge can be linked to him. It was among many other articles that came to me after the house was cleared.

Well that’s pretty much indisputable evidence I think.  It would have to be an extraordinary coincidence otherwise. It appears to be in pristine condition and I doubt it has ever been cleaned.  An amazing family artefact to have.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Certainly is! Seeing that might have solved things earlier but pleased for you. 

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Well that’s pretty much indisputable evidence I think.  It would have to be an extraordinary coincidence otherwise. It appears to be in pristine condition and I doubt it has ever been cleaned.  An amazing family artefact to have.

11 minutes ago, Roger McCluskey said:

If I had it at the time I would not have been posting the image of my Grandfather.:rolleyes:

I’m glad you posted it, such images are always interesting to see.  Thank you.