Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAPTURED MGs - Both sides.

Mark Finneran

Tried locating an old thread on the same topic but was unsuccessful. If the Moderator finds it though and it is acceptable, could it be combined please? In the meantime a thread on WWI MGs captured, showing in some instances re-used in existing calibre due to captured ammo, or converted for own supply. 
Thanks, Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, motojosh said:

Russian Maxim M1910

mg2.jpg.7da0ffe5769d55d4b760ca13472c5560.jpg

Is it just me, or does the soldier stood viewers left have the no.4 of the 343 sewn onto his pickelhaube cover backwards?:mellow:  

On 21/11/2021 at 06:31, Andrew Upton said:

Is it just me, or does the soldier stood viewers left have the no.4 of the 343 sewn onto his pickelhaube cover backwards?:mellow:  

On 21/11/2021 at 12:24, GreyC said:

That´s correct. Well spotted.

GreyC

Maybe a cunning trick to see if an officer noticed - hence the smile? 

FWIW, 343 was raised in October 1915, so that's the earliest date for the photograph

FWIW, the shortage of MG's in the German army was noted in regimental histories, e.g., 10. Rheinisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 161, for August 1916, a reference to 12 German, 5Russian, and 2 French Mg's; for November 1916, 16 German, and 1 each Russian, French, and English,

Julian  

• 2 weeks later...

It is an amazing picture.  The pinning of helmets to walls and roofs was not uncommon so I shall find those too, but my interest is the MG. There are many official French postcards showing off captured items incl ac and arty pieces but also some imagery of the 1920's 'private' museums in France. As you would imagine the amount that was and could be picked up by the locals then no doubt made for some very impressive collections!!  Even today there are still some beautiful 'underground' collections but getting more and more difficult. When certain authorities are banning trench art because modern technology can detect 'explosive residue' then it is easy to see where the squeeze is.

Mark

in 1963 i went to the 100th anniversary of the battle of gettysburg in PENNSYLVANIA u.s.a, what amazed me most was a private collection of artifacts that had been picked up by a doctor who lived in the area after the battle. it's not there now and i've often wondered what became of it. once again thanks for the interesting photos

Edited by free1954
senility

On 20/11/2021 at 20:03, motojosh said:

mg.jpg.09ce1a1ee6e163b43a8bb62543a707d7.jpg

Lewis gun

36_5jpg.jpg.2d912f688abadd363c72e3fa914481ae.jpg

French St. Étienne Mle 1907

lj5IdEO.jpg.33e898ac351ca6984df601d6752f32ae.jpg

What is the canister item that looks like a massive stick grenade bottom right behind the soldier closest to camera?

In the 

mg.jpg.09ce1a1ee6e163b43a8bb62543a707d7.jpg

Lewis gun

36_5jpg.jpg.2d912f688abadd363c72e3fa914481ae.jpg

French St. Étienne Mle 1907 photo

Mickster

Edited by Mickster
I dropped my peanut butter sarnie on my key board.

Sorry I am confused slightly. Where is the camera?  Are you talking about the EM14 range finder on the tripod?

Mark

1 hour ago, Mark Finneran said:

Sorry I am confused slightly. Where is the camera?  Are you talking about the EM14 range finder on the tripod?

Mark

The camera is the position the photo was taken Mark. My question may have been placed with the wrong photo however. There is another example in one of your photos bottom centre, just above the one of troops looking for souvenirs. It looks like a large canister With a pipe in one end.

Mickster

Might need to get the mortar experts in but we need to see the photo. Could be a 91 mm light mortar or flare/signal discharges Mickster 

On 21/11/2021 at 03:31, Andrew Upton said:

mg2.jpg.7da0ffe5769d55d4b760ca13472c5560.jpg

Is it just me or has this photo been photo shopped 

surely the chap far left dose not belong in the photo ?

Edited by RaySearching
adding comment