Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1888 Bayonet finish question

4thGordons

Quick P1888 question.

I wondered if anyone has run across instructions to armourers or possibly even War Diary entries concerning the finish on P1888 bayonets, in particular darkening it

These are usually polished bright however I just obtained one that (although in rough shape generally) looks to have been blued/browned. I recall reading extracts in war diaries about men being instructed to let buttons, badges and other brass ware get dull and I know dulled finishes were introduced on P1907 bayonets but I wondered if this was ever done officially on P1888 bayonets in British service?

There are quite a lot of P1903 bayonets with Indian markings which show blued/matt-finished darkened blades (and some of these utilize P1888 blades) but the bayonet I just got is a standard P1888 manufactured by Wilkinson and dated 12/92 (but with no obvious later reissue marks or unit markings)

It is quite possible it is natural corrosion but it looks too even for that and there is very little pitting in the surface. It is also possible that it was done by a previous owner/collector but I thought I would just ask the question!

TIA

Chris

Nothing official that I am aware of ... prime suspect would be Indian service or para-military use to explain the darkening. Or even civilian use/misuse ... I have seen blades used as a fireplace poker get very dark.!! 

Cheers, SS 

This question eventually jogged my memory and I recalled that I do own an example of what I believe to be "wartime sandblasted" finish on a P1888 bayonet.

This has been posted here on the forum many years ago and the photos are not great but I found the thread and downloaded them again. 

So it is an Enfield manufactured P1888 MkII example with a '16 reissue stamp and an obviously "dulled" finish to blade and pommel. Very fine "pitting" to the metal surfaces which appears to be evidence of the sandblasting. 

1727023434_post-52604-0685164001281693294.jpg.b5c770e9c0c317b8ba10158f196fb072.jpg

Comparison photo shows typical polished blade at top and the dulled finish example at the bottom. Also closeup of the ricasso showing the important '16 reissue stamp. 

Cheers,  SS 

1664724339_post-52604-0875859001281692416.jpg.ee26c266c50b8367b011db40b5286582.jpg

Edited by shippingsteel

Thanks. I recall this now you have reposted.

Cheers,

Chris

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2021 at 00:34, 4thGordons said:

Quick P1888 question.

I wondered if anyone has run across instructions to armourers or possibly even War Diary entries concerning the finish on P1888 bayonets, in particular darkening it

These are usually polished bright however I just obtained one that (although in rough shape generally) looks to have been blued/browned. I recall reading extracts in war diaries about men being instructed to let buttons, badges and other brass ware get dull and I know dulled finishes were introduced on P1907 bayonets but I wondered if this was ever done officially on P1888 bayonets in British service?

There are quite a lot of P1903 bayonets with Indian markings which show blued/matt-finished darkened blades (and some of these utilize P1888 blades) but the bayonet I just got is a standard P1888 manufactured by Wilkinson and dated 12/92 (but with no obvious later reissue marks or unit markings)

It is quite possible it is natural corrosion but it looks too even for that and there is very little pitting in the surface. It is also possible that it was done by a previous owner/collector but I thought I would just ask the question!

TIA

Chris

FWIW, The official regulations (LOC) for the Mk I and II were polished all over, but IIRC, the Mk III had a 'browned' pommel, tang, and 'crosspiece'.

Edited by trajan