Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting 2021

bruce

Ayesha and I are bound for a trip next month.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post a question, but here goes.

Does anyone know exactly what we have to do, have with us, complete etc. before we go, and when we get back.

We are going through the Tunnel into France, then staying five nights in Ypres, before five nights on the Somme, and home again, including Armistice Day.

We have both been double jabbed, and have the paperwork to prove it, but what else do we need?

Any answers gratefully received.

Bruce

(sorry....no...I cant bring you a crate of beer back, I already have orders for eight!)

8 minutes ago, bruce said:

We have both been double jabbed, and have the paperwork to prove it, but what else do we need?

Hi Bruce.  The Eurotunnel website is very helpful and tells you exactly what you need - and what can be uploaded.  As you are fully vaccinated, basically you can upload the French Declaration of Honour.  You are advised to take a copy with you as well as a copy of your NHS health pass.  In all cases a copy on your mobile form (pdf) and/or hard copy.  On return you have to complete a UK government passenger locator form which includes the reference number for the covid test (lateral flow by the time you go) you must book before returning.  The locator form must be completed not more than 48 hours before your return.  You will need separate documentation for you and Ayesha.

Hope this helps.  Have you now taken me off your list?

Reg

your status has come down from red to black on the list for being so helpful.

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce

The information on the eurotunnel site is only relative to travel between the UK and France. Belgium still has an additional burden on travellers from the UK. Below is an extract from the Gov.UK site setting about the current requirements. In case the links do not work, this is a link to the relevant pages;

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/belgium/entry-requirements

Kind regard

John

Travellers who are fully vaccinated with a Belgian, EU Vaccination Certificate or an NHS COVID Pass or certificate with a QR code (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland)

You must:

• complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF), unless you fall under a very limited list of exemptions listed on the Belgian government website (under the Transport and International section)

• take a test on day 1 or 2 after arrival and quarantine until you receive a negative result. Alternatively, you can provide evidence of a negative PCR test upon arrival, taken no more than 72 hours before arrival in Belgium. If you have a negative pre-departure test, you do not need to take tests on day 1 or day 2.

All arrivals from countries classified as high-risk, which currently includes the UK, are required to take a test on day 7, even if you are fully vaccinated and provided evidence of a negative pre-departure test. If any of the test results are positive, you must self-isolate in line with Belgian government guidance.

Further details are listed on the Belgian government’s website.

Edited by Frajohn

3 hours ago, bruce said:

your status has come down from red to black on the list for being so helpful.

Thanks

Bruce

:thumbsup:

Thanks to you both for taking the time to advise.

bruce

I would suggest it would be prudent to keep checking right up to the last minute, and, for that matter, while you are away. These things can change very quickly. The rules about testing when you get back to Blighty will also be changing soon. I believe you now have to upload a photo of yourself doing the test, and it can now be a lateral flow job rather than the PCR, though I haven't seen any official confirmation of the former, just media reports.

I envy you. I always go to Ypres for Armistice Day, but obviously not last year. Was toying with going this year but somehow it doesn't feel quite right yet. Hope all goes well for you.

Edited by sassenach

FraJohn's post above is the key one. Check the info on that Foreign Office site, and register for daily updates.  They only send them when there is a change to the info on the page, but that is the sensible way to keep in touch with changes. Enjoy your trip. For safety's sake you are advised to take a couple of packets of fig rolls with you; they come in handy in case of emergencies.

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts
typo cleared

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

I would suggest it would be prudent to keep checking right up to the last minute, and, for that matter, while you are away. These things can change very quickly. The rules about testing when you get back to Blighty will also be changing soon. I believe you now have to upload a photo of yourself doing the test, and it can now be a lateral flow job rather than the PCR, though I haven't seen any official confirmation of the former, just media reports.

I envy you. I always go to Ypres for Armistice Day, but obviously not last year. Was toying with going this year but somehow it doesn't feel quite right yet. Hope all goes well for you.

'...have to upload a photo of yourself doing the test....' I don't have a mobile phone nor do I want one, so how do I go on ?

2 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

take a couple of packets of fig rolls

Keith.  When you get a reply from @bruce I will relieve him of his packets of fig rolls.

1 minute ago, stripeyman said:

I don't have a mobile phone nor do I want one, so how do I go on ?

Digital camera + computer?

relieve him of his fig rolls???

You think I might actually touch those abominations???

Seriously….thanks guys for all your advice….I am grateful.

Don….you are back in red!

bruce

And don't forget that if you are returning to the UK after your trip  that you'll need to complete a separate PLF and get a lateral flow test.  

Shame about Wet Sham!

Bruce

1 hour ago, bruce said:

Shame about Wet Sham!

Bruce

Need to help out our old boys occasionally.  Worse was to follow this afternoon in London!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Covid regulations are changing a lot in Belgium. You will now need a Covid Safe Ticket for access to museums, restaurants etc.

Just a word of warning to ayone coming over during the next weeks.

Jan

15 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

Covid regulations are changing a lot in Belgium. You will now need a Covid Safe Ticket for access to museums, restaurants etc.

Just a word of warning to ayone coming over during the next weeks.

Jan

According to the UK Govt website, that applies in Brussels but not Flanders. 

Currently in Normandy!

Eurotunnel was easy...had uploaded the NHS Covid pass-and printed it out [it can be used in Bars and Restaurants as a Pass Sanitaire]-and the Declaration of Honour. If you get through the initial check-in at Eurotunnel and get your hanger for the journey that means all your paperwork is in order and you don't need it checked within the terminal. If it isn't in order you will be sent to get it checked at the Terminal.

Duty Free is available but need to show your Boarding Pass which comes with a QR code now. Good deals on Gin currently! But fig rolls not available-neither is Kwak!

Usual swabs on car and chat with French passport control but nothing out of the ordinary. We return on Sunday...

George

38 minutes ago, sassenach said:

According to the UK Govt website, that applies in Brussels but not Flanders. 

You can believe what you want. Yesterday, the minsiters of the different governments have met and things will change within a few days.

40 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

You can believe what you want. Yesterday, the minsiters of the different governments have met and things will change within a few days.

OK. Thanks for the warning.

40 minutes ago, sassenach said:

OK. Thanks for the warning.

I read that this should be from 1 November on in Flanders. Masks will be obligatory again in a lot of places as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Update for any over 65s going to France - quote from gov.uk website

"The French Government has announced that from 15 December, those who are 65 and over and who have been fully vaccinated for more than six months and five weeks will need to demonstrate that they have received an approved COVID-19 booster injection in order to access the “pass sanitaire” in France. We will update this page with further information when it becomes available."

Edited by Don Regiano

...and that is going to be difficult for us oldies who have had our booster 3rd jab, as these do not appear on the NHS app along with the first two vaccinations. So, after 15 December, I don’t see how we can prove we have had the booster.

In France at the moment, I have had to prove my vaccination status at two restaurants and a museum.

8 hours ago, angelab said:

...and that is going to be difficult for us oldies who have had our booster 3rd jab, as these do not appear on the NHS app along with the first two vaccinations. So, after 15 December, I don’t see how we can prove we have had the booster.

In France at the moment, I have had to prove my vaccination status at two restaurants and a museum.

On my app the booster appears under "your GP health records" then "immunisations." Whether the French will accept that is, of course, another matter. 

I wonder how long that takes to be updated onto the record?

George