Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of Casualty Clearing Station Number 6, Lillers, France, July 1915.

KRRCchap

Hi

I am trying to pinpoint the actual location of CCS No. 6 which was based in Lillers. I believe it was located at the Ecole Communale which was an infants school at the time. What I would like to know is the location of the school and if it is still there today.

image.png.1b95cce078b2177b8025ed0603f4ebf5.png

image.png.54b27224d9b311c198b0fd6055330bc4.png

Jonbem, thank you so much for sending this information through. I had found the document from the Wellcome collection which is where I found out that the 'mens' hospital (officers were elsewhere) was based in the infants school. Your second reference regarding Kate Luards book also confirms this. I would really like to locate where the school was, or still is as I plan to visit Lillers in 2022. I know that my soldier was out of the line and resting in the town at Vermelles on Saturday the 17th July 1915 when the Germans shelled the town. He was the only casualty, being hit in the right hip and right knee. He was taken to the CCS but died the same day of the wounds. He is buried in Lillers Communal Cemetery extension which I have visited many times to lay flowers. It is only just recently that I have been able to find out the details of where he served and died. I know he had just come out of the Le Rutoire Trenches which I am also trying to locate. If you know the location of this I would be eager to know. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

All the best

Simon

Thanks Jonbem. I have tried to find Le Rutoire on a modern map (Google Maps) based on your map location without any success. I will try and find an older map.

1 hour ago, KRRCchap said:

just come out of the Le Rutoire Trenches which I am also trying to locate.

Simon,

They were quite extensive, but here is an extract, just east of Vermelles - click to enlarge:

image.png.45533e02bd445827fbe056abed92f765.png 

• Michelle Young locked this topic