Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Rutoire Trenches July 12th - 16th 1915

KRRCchap

Hi, I am looking to find the location of the Le Rutoire trenches. I know that the 1st battalion of the Scots Guards served there. I have information that they relieved the 1st Coldstream Guards on the 12th July 1915 until July 16th 1915.  I would really like to pinpoint the exact location if anyone can help. Thanks in advance.

• Admin

Rats Alley gives Rutoire Alley as map 36cNW3 G 8,9,15,22

The War Diary of 1 Infantry Brigade (1 Div) WO 95/1261/2 14/07/1915 records that 1 Brigade were in Y Section and a record of Reliefs (Ancestry p 230/1317) shows the Scots Guards to relieve the Coldstream Guards in Y 1 on 13/07/1915.

The WD of 1 Div HQ General Staff (WO 95/1229/1-3) Operational Order no 97 dated 10/07/1915 shows the boundaries of Y Section as The Le Rutoire to Loos Road, exclusive to the Auchy to Vermelles Rd. There are other references to work done in Y Section by the Royal Engineers 23 Field Co and 26 Field Co (1 Div).

The WD of 23 FC RE 29/06/1915 records that work was started in Y 1 and mentions Daly's Keep and Le Rutoire Keep. The WD of the Commander RE 1 Div also refers to work in Y 1, mentioning Daly's Passage, Daly's Keep and Le Rutoire Alley. You can see these on the above map.

Brian

Many thanks to you all for responding, it is really appreciated.

Don Regiano, many thanks for the map, this clearly shows the location. I have tried to overlay this map onto a current Google map and I cannot find any reference or mention of Le Rutois which appears to be a small hamlet on your map. Maybe it was destroyed in later fighting. I will have to try and find another map that may show it.

OP, please see your other thread where you have asked exactly the same location question for Rutoire and received responses from a different set of GWF posters.

This is from the IGN 2405 E Lens 1:25 000

Brian

001.JPG

• Admin

I will lock the CCS thread, please keep answers here

• Admin

Le Rutoire is 3 farms  and a couple of  additional houses these days. 

Many Thanks Michelle. From all the responses received, I have managed to work out the exact location I was looking for. Apologies for the confusion posting over 2 threads.

Thank you to all who have helped me, I am very grateful.

Regards

Simon